• March 28, 2024, 02:29:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: multiple DCS-930L's  (Read 5470 times)

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
multiple DCS-930L's
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »

This is more of a network question and I could not find a better topic match to post it.....

I installed my first DCS-930L camera manually, configuring it to port 8080, setting up a name alias on dyndns, and configured my router to forward on  cam1.dyndns-server.com.  I can see my cam from any browser on any machine on the net.

When I add my second camera in the same way, i'll config a name mapping on dyndns to  cam2.dyndns-server.com.

My question is, will it work if I set the port on cam2 to be 8080? and just rely on name matching in the router to forward incoming requests to the right cam, or should I do the setup another way?

thanks
--J

dw886

• Level 1 Member
Re: multiple DCS-930L's
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

This question depends on the NAT  (Port forwarding) in your router.  Most routers just look at the port number, and then forward based on the port number, like this:
Pseudo code: anything.com:incomingport --> localIP:port
Example: *:80 --> 192.168.1.10:8080

In this example, any request that hits the router on the external IP using port 80 is sent to 192.168.1.10:8080 - it doesn't matter if the incoming request was "cam1.dyndns-server.com:80" or if the request was "cam2.dyndns-server.com:80", they would both end up going to 192.168.1.10:8080.

That being said, there's more elaborate routers that WILL actually look at the URL in the incoming request, and can use that information to determine where to send the request.  I know that Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration server does this, but configuration is more than what you'd probably want for a home. :-) If your router has that feature, then this is possible to accomplish.  If your router does not have that feature, then I'd simply put them on separate external ports on your router, like the following.  The only drawback is that you'll have to enter the port number when you access the webcams externally:
cam.dyndns-server.com:81 --> 192.168.1.10:80
cam.dyndns-server.com:82 --> 192.168.1.11:80

HTH

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
Re: multiple DCS-930L's
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »

thanks for the reply...I use DD-WRT - a fairly sophisticated router firmware for my Linksys wrt54....
I resolved the problem by changing the port number on the second camera.  I do specify the port number in the url and it behaves as intended.

-J