• March 28, 2024, 04:17:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DLINK please help !!!  (Read 11630 times)

historypsi

DLINK please help !!!
« on: August 15, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »

DLink,

I have a DIR-655 with Securespot turned on. Here is my problem, I am running the final version of Windows 7 from my MSDN. And surfing the web is painfully slow for some sites and others won't load. This isn't the routers problem, BUT it is an issue with the "D-link SecureSpot thin client" in the network adapters properties. I when I unchecked it on both my wifes and my computer the web was amazingly fast again. My question to you is where or who do I contact to have this looked into so that a thin client released for Windows 7 can be made and that this issue is fixed?

Thanks!

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: DLINK please help !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »

The magor problem is the fact that Windows 7 was not yet been released for normal sales.  It is due to go on sale around October 22.  Until then, Windows 7 software support will be "spotty."

historypsi

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »

Yeah I know. But I was atleast hoping to get them additional information so that they'd be able to have it fixed by release.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »

http://www.dlink.com/press/?prid=525

My problem is Dlink has put SecureSpot into the firmware, it's doesn't belong. My feelings is that it is a response to Linksys Network Magic. Altough to my knowledge Linksys has not yet integrated Network Magic into the firmware. I think if Dlink released it as aftermaket software or bundled it with their routers it would be better as it has nothing to do with router functions.

historypsi

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »

Actually, it does have to do with the router in a hardware aspect. It turns it into content filtering solution at the hardware level that will work on anything that connects to your network that may not be able to load the thin client. And it does the work so that the thin client can be just that, lean. That way your machine is not bogged down by bloatware. On the other hand, it also downloads definitions to your router while securespot is enabled to make it a more effective firewall. So it really is a good service. And I've used network magic. And its only good for it's network mapping features if you ask me. I noticed the link you posted. That's not my issue. My issue is with the thin client. The router is fine with Windows 7.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:23:41 PM »

Actually, it does have to do with the router in a hardware aspect. It turns it into content filtering solution at the hardware level that will work on anything that connects to your network that may not be able to load the thin client. And it does the work so that the thin client can be just that, lean. That way your machine is not bogged down by bloatware. On the other hand, it also downloads definitions to your router while securespot is enabled to make it a more effective firewall. So it really is a good service. And I've used network magic. And its only good for it's network mapping features if you ask me. I noticed the link you posted. That's not my issue. My issue is with the thin client. The router is fine with Windows 7.
Well there maybe be the problem with the slow speed, your asking the chipset @ the hardware level to monitor content live as it's streaming to the router and your computer. For info only check out the amount of resources on just your computer "cpu usage" and Networking "local area connection" by hitting ctrl-alt-delete. I don't use securespot but just want to see how much of a footprint this "thin client" has. Since "Task Manager" is live you can toggle back and fourth to see the difference.
Now how much resources is the router using with it's chipset, memory etc..
Now remember the router still has other "network functions" running, sounds like bloatware to me.

KevTech

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:01:06 PM »

Part of the thin client is also McAfee(R) Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware engine according to LINK.
This may explain your slowdown.

You could try turning off IPv6 on your adapter.

Can't you just use the access controls/website filters in the router or setup the Hosts file?

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »

Part of the thin client is also McAfee(R) Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware engine according to LINK.

Can't you just use the access controls/website filters in the router or setup the Hosts file?
McAfee...don't that just make you feel all fuzzy inside.  ;D

historypsi

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 04:42:40 AM »

Well there maybe be the problem with the slow speed, your asking the chipset @ the hardware level to monitor content live as it's streaming to the router and your computer. For info only check out the amount of resources on just your computer "cpu usage" and Networking "local area connection" by hitting ctrl-alt-delete. I don't use securespot but just want to see how much of a footprint this "thin client" has. Since "Task Manager" is live you can toggle back and fourth to see the difference.
Now how much resources is the router using with it's chipset, memory etc..
Now remember the router still has other "network functions" running, sounds like bloatware to me.

There is no footprint left. I know exactly what you're talking about and I've asked this very same chipset to do this since the 1.2x firmware that enabled securespot. This is strickly a windows 7 issue. I had this running without issue on Vista with IE 7 and 8.

historypsi

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 04:46:32 AM »

McAfee...don't that just make you feel all fuzzy inside.  ;D
Actually McAfee is a pretty big name now a days. They now own the most successful firewall out there, Sidewinder who was owned previously by Secure Computing. They also bought out Blue Coat who is a hardware proxy company. So yeah, it doesn't bother me one bit. I've worked on those products for quite a few years now and they are among the best you can get. And beside the fact that the DoD dropped Symantec for McAfee doesn't hurt either. So what's your point?

historypsi

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 04:48:40 AM »

Not the issue, I'm using IPv4 on my adapter, and I turned off access controls completely before I found what the issue is. It's literally "D-Link SecureSpot thin client". As long as it's not running on my NIC there isn't a issue.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 05:17:31 AM »

Actually McAfee is a pretty big name now a days. They now own the most successful firewall out there, Sidewinder who was owned previously by Secure Computing. They also bought out Blue Coat who is a hardware proxy company. So yeah, it doesn't bother me one bit. I've worked on those products for quite a few years now and they are among the best you can get. And beside the fact that the DoD dropped Symantec for McAfee doesn't hurt either. So what's your point?
My point in my opinion McAfee is c-r-a-p. Your opinion of-course is different.
Hey if McAfee makes you feel secure it's your network. Thank god the DoD has multi layer defense and encryption.

historypsi

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »

Hey if McAfee makes you feel secure it's your network. Thank god the DoD has multi layer defense and encryption.
Sorry if I came off wrong on that. But to each their own right? As far as DoD or anyone for that matter, your network is only as strong as your technicians. You can have the greatest or worst software/hardware in the world but if you don't have the talent and knowledge to back it up then it's bound to be owned.

But right now I just need to find out who I can notify or how to notify them of this issue so they can have it compliant by the time Windows 7 drops in the nearest Best Buy or whatever. I can handle the thin client turned off until then as I have other means to secure my clients.

Again, sorry if I came off rude on that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:27:29 AM by historypsi »

KevTech

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »

That was the point I was trying to make. I have had to repair a lot of pc's where the fix was removing McAfee and the systems flew after that.

KevTech

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

But right now I just need to find out who I can notify or how to notify them of this issue so they can have it compliant by the time Windows 7 drops in the nearest Best Buy or whatever.

I am not sure I understand what you want.
Windows 7 or any OS has nothing to do with the router.
I have been using Windows 7 since the first beta and am using the RTM right now with no isuues from the DIR-655.
Unless you are talking about Securespot which would probably not work on 7 as most antivirus for 7 are still in the beta stages. This includes McAfee.
Pages: [1] 2