• April 26, 2024, 01:53:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Poor Signal  (Read 15663 times)

Jordan

Poor Signal
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »

When I log into the administrative account in my router (DIR-625) the wireless connectivity says 100%. But when I look at the signal strength on the D-Link Wireless Connectivity Manager on the computer with the DWA-140 is says only 55%.

Also when I log into the DIR-625 router and check the status of my wireless connection, under 'Mode' it says 11g. Should that not be 11n due to my 802.11n connection? 

gshaghoian

Re: Poor Signal
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »

First check the physical location of your router. Make sure it's elevated, and isolated as much as possible from other electronics.

If you have cordless phones make sure the bases and the phones are not close to the router.

If that's all fine and you have the same issue, try to check from a SECOND wireless computer. If they BOTH have the same issue, the ROUTER is the problem.

If the 2nd wireless computer doesn't have this issue, you know it's actually the DWA-140 not working properly.

arod

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »

Also, what cipher type are you using and encryption? Please ensure you're using AES cipher, WPA encryption, lock the wireless channel down and lock your 802.11 mode to N only.

cachirro

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »

I have a similar problem, so i'll use this thread.

i have all settings as stated in the forum, i get a lowsy 11% signal on the dlink wireless connection manager.

i tried my laptop with is internal pre historical B wifi, and it get's close to 100% signal.
i returned this pack (i bough today) and got a new one (dir615+dwa140) and the damn signal is lowsy again.

so, the dwa140 can't get the signal, what's going on here?

edit: with another program i can see that the network is at maximum 54Mb with a signal strength of -76 dBm (17%).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:39:46 PM by cachirro »

cachirro

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »

anyone care to help?

arod

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »

cachirro,

Yes, please reference the following link.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=3061&question=300+mbps

cachirro

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:42:11 AM »

Like i said before, prior to my complaint i have read ALL info to try to fix it and NOTHING works. Please, i need some real support, i've sent a complaint via website with no response, and know here i get told to read something that i already said that i've read.

Please, i need help.

I've tested TWO kits, all with the same problems, today i bought a new DIR-615 and a PCI 300MBPS card, let's see what happens now, again, all items from d-link, it will be the last time if it doesn't works again, i'm talking about some lousy 10 to 15 meters.

arod

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:33:22 AM »

Well... In order to help you please give me a bit more info on what exactly you've tried.. What firmware are you using and also what driver version? Are you using the D-Link utility or windows? Do you have any firewalls anti-virus softwares running and so on...

cachirro

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »

latest firmware and drivers, firewall from windows vista, antivirus is avira. utility from dlink.

i tried router and receiver at 30cm, signal was 100%, router at 15m apart, signal is 7%, router at 7m apart signal is 60%.

another pc (laptop) with builtin B receiver gets the sinal at 100%, so the problem is the DWA-140 and some incompatibility with my system, there are no new drivers to download, so there's nothing else i can do.

in the weekend i'll try the new PCI receiver with 3 antenas in the same conditions and see what happens, if it's all the same, then i have to change brand, cause my pc must be anti dlink.

arod

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 01:46:18 PM »

Try to uninstall the D-Link utility and drivers completely and then re-install just the drivers and use the windows utility to connect to your wireless network. See if that makes a difference.

cachirro

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »

i give up, new pci receiver with 3 damn antennas, new router, all N, and i can't receive the damn signal, when i can it looks like the old days of 56k lines.

i receive connections from neighborhood floors and not my own, pretty cool, thank god for cables.