• April 18, 2024, 04:46:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: D-viewcam: Economic Recording vs. Event Recording for Motion Detection  (Read 6173 times)

ADC

• Level 1 Member

Hello all,

Can someone please explain the difference between Economic Recording and Event Recording for Motion Detection?

From what I've read on the forum, I am not the only one who is confused about these functions.

- Are they completely different functions or is there some kind of similarity and/or dependency?
- Is there an overlap between the 2?
- When would you use each?
- Can you use both fucntions simultaneously? Why? And if yes, would I end up with 2 huge files one in the Alarm and the other in the Schedule folder?

Sharing any insight/experience that some of you may have on this matter is highly appreciated.

The manual describes the set up and configuration but does not explain the concepts behind those features.

Many thanks in advance.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: D-viewcam: Economic Recording vs. Event Recording for Motion Detection
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »

Economic recording is strictly related to motion detection from the cameras. If motion is detected and it fits this schedule then it will record data. EVENT recordings can be a few different things from I/O input triggers, to one camera losing video due to someone vandalizing it and causing a secondary camera to begin recording right away.

ADC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »

Ok . . . So if I understand it correctly:

24/7 Economic Recording is set off by the camera detecting motion, and D-viewcam will continue recording until stopped (manually or as per schedule). Whereas the function "Event Recording for Motion Detection" is triggered by motion, records short videos (clips), and is handled by D-Viewcam.

So setting up my DCS-920 for 24/7 Economic Recording *AND* having the camera configured for "Event Recording for Motion Detection" would be redundant and a duplication. In other words, when viewed, 24/7 Economic Recording tells the "whole story" while Event Recording for Motion Detection only gives "glimpses of that story". Correct?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »

Yeah pretty much. Economic recording will create a recording hour upon hour and seem as if it is recording 24/7 saving hard drive space. And Event motion detection recordings will create a clip of just the event.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream