• March 28, 2024, 03:21:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows 7 backup failing suddenly  (Read 2851 times)

Scott41677

• Level 1 Member
Windows 7 backup failing suddenly
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »

I use the Windows 7 (64-bit) backup utility to backup a few computers in my home. The backup has worked fine for several weeks and now, suddenly, the backups are failing with some generic Windows error: "A Shadow Copy can not be created. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more information. Detail: The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup processes is retried, the error is likely to reoccur."

I checked the windows forums for this error and it says that it happens when a volume is attached that is not NTFS formatted.

Currently, I have the drive only accessible through network configuration, not a mapped drive. I'm curious as to why this error is happening suddenly. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
Re: Windows 7 backup failing suddenly
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:16:21 AM »

I've not had your exact same issue, because I don't use the supplied backup tool and I don't take backups directly to the NAS, but initially I had problems when copying to/from the DNS-323 using either Windows Explorer or a command line COPY with individual file copies failing because Windows suddenly couldn't see the device on the network. This was intermittent - retrying in Explorer would usually work and the command line copy would carry on and try the next file, which more often that not would be successful - but consistent inasmuch as I couldn't get all the way through one particular test copy (over 20GB of data as 150 files in 25 directories) without at least two or three files failing to copy (from the command line - on the couple of occasions that I tried from Windows Explorer it retried the failures successfully, but I saw several files fail initially each time).

After some digging I found the following advice via another post on these boards:

Troubleshooting: Connecting Windows Vista to shared drives and folders

and whilst it advertises itself as applying to Vista, I too am running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and the suggested fix resolved my issues (and seems to have had a positive effect on occasional slowdowns that I was experiencing between my Windows XP boxes and the Windows 7 box, although that might be coincidental).
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

Scott41677

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:06:46 AM »

Thanks Steve.  I reviewed the link you provided and attempted to perform both options however neither option proved successful. I am convinced that this is a Windows issue now, not one with the DNS-323. Hopefully Microsoft can help  ::)

Scott41677

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:23:06 PM »

I've found through searching and testing that Windows 7 has an issue with the system reserved partition size. If you have several HD's with a large amount of storage (I have 3 HD's with total storage of a ~3TB), Windows backup can not handle it. The standard system reserved partition is 100MB, however you can increase to anything LESS THAN 500MB. However, as I mentioned above, if you have a large amount of storage, the 500MB partition is still not enough.  Therefore you have to a 3rd party backup software instead. I am using Comodo now (for free) and it works well with the DNS-323.

Thanks Microsoft for making yet another sub-par feature.