• April 23, 2024, 10:09:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problem installing new drivers  (Read 18040 times)

pure_energy1

Re: Problem installing new drivers
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »

I am also having the same issue.
Laptop is a Dell D610.

I'm currently on-hold with DLINK Customer Support and will report back any findings... (if any  ???)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:14:02 AM by pure_energy1 »

pure_energy1

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:13:37 AM »

Well, While I was on hold for Customer Service, I managed to solve the issue on my own.

I went into the Wireless connection Properties, under the Wireless Tab, I checked the box to "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings".

I was then able to see a list of available wireless networks within range, and subsequently connect to my wireless network. I have a stable 300mb/s connection.

I did end up speaking to Donna at Customer Support, who was not very much help, and rude. She proceeded to guide me through uninstalling and installing the new driver. I mentioned that I would prefer using the Site Manager to configure my wireless adaptor, however she simply mentioned that there seemed to be an incompatibility with it and my system, asked me to "keep an eye on my connection for problems, and call back if I experience any other issues", and then promptly hung-up.

My question to you all is:
Are there any benefits of using the DLINK Site Manager as opposed to using the Windows native configuration? As far as I can see, WPS is only accessible from the DLINK Site Manager... but is that it?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:17:04 AM by pure_energy1 »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 11:11:02 AM »

The D-Link utility offerd as a courtesy. It is not required for the card to operate. You should see all the same performance from Windows Zero Configuration.

jjackson

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »

Had the same problem here (IBM T40p laptop, Win XP Pro SP2).  Just gave up and used the Windows wireless configuration utility.  Works fine.

One possibility: AFTER getting everything running I noticed that WPA2 wasn't an option in wireless config.  I had to download an MS service pack(specifically targeting this issue - Don't recall the number) to get this to show up.  MAYBE the D-Link config. utility would now work, but I'm not going to spend the time trying to find out.

isuzudave

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »

Even though I got it working with the 1.3 drivers, I had to switch back to the 1.11 drivers. 

I use this wireless card to backup my laptop’s hard drive to a network storage device.  Both versions of the driver showed me connecting at 300Mbps but when I was backing up the drive with the new drivers installed it would slow to about 62Mbps.  I went back to the old drivers and the speed stays in the 200Mbps range.  It was not just the utility displaying slower speed; it was actually a lot slower.  I use Acronis True Image to backup and it would take over twice as long with the new drivers.

FromAtoN

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »

I noticed a problem with a new card.  I downloaded the latest 1.3 drivers since most products come with outdated drivers and worthless demo software on CD.

I could not see any networks or connect to my DGL-4500 using the utility.  Had to use the Windows XP utility.  After configuring a profile and switching back to the D-Link utility I could see networks.  I went a step further and deleted the profile in Windows and have used the utility without noticeable problems.

fallnout

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »

WOW!!!
I thought I was alone with this problem.
My setup/utility was working fine until I had to do a "Winsock" fix (my AV got corrupted). At that point the utility failed to find the wireless network, and showed "ad-hoc" mode, instead of "infrastructure" mode.
I finally reverted to the Windows Zero Config, using WPA2-PSK, in order to get connected to the DIR-655.
Seeing that SWMBO uses the laptop, I will wait until later to see what I can do to configure the utility to function as it was previously operational.
A surgical registry removal of the utility seems to be in the cards, as formatting and re-installing is not an option.
I will report back and outline the steps I took to get the utility to work, as the moderator said ... "you don't need the utility to get the card functioning", it just bugs me to know it is not working.  ;D

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »

Thats the problem with wireless clients. They often create behavior like this. For someone, one will work and another will not, and vise-versa. It can make troubleshooting these types of issues very diffuicult.
Pages: 1 [2]