• July 26, 2024, 04:25:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Mode 11g? Should it not be N?  (Read 3932 times)

avalanche333

• Level 1 Member
Mode 11g? Should it not be N?
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »

Just got my DIR 615 along with the DAP 1522.
Set the DIR 615 to run in N mode only using channel width needs to be set to 20/40Auto. No encryption, just left everything as default.

When Looking at the wireless clients connected I have 2 (one is my iMac, the latest and greatest with wireless N, and the other is my DAP 1522).

Both say they are running in mode 11g?  Should they not be running in 11n?
Rate for my mac says 54 and the DAP 1522 says 117.

What they heck is going on? Am I running in G or N? It should be N but the web interface does not reflect this.

One other question, if I run a laptop that can only connect to G will this work?  I suppose I will need to set it to be N and G mode.  How will that work? Will everything run in G when my laptop is on then switch back to N when I turn it off?

Thanks!

chris_cesar

• Level 2 Member
Re: Mode 11g? Should it not be N?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:38:52 AM »

Since you have a computers that uses a G adapter you may have to set to G & N. Correct me if im wrong but for what I know with the D-Link N routers the N connection will only activate if you set the encryption to WPA and of corz if you have an N adapter on you computer.

avalanche333

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:43 AM »

Oh so I *have* to set encryption to WPA. It cannot be WEP?
I can give this a try. That may explain why when I had the router set to only use N it still said it was using G.  Strange..

genesis

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »

I did change to WPA 2 and it shows 11NG for all the adapters (I selected N and G mixed network because of the Tivo box). Interestingly enough, all USB adapters are DWA-130 (dlink), but only two are showing 300 in status page. The other one (revision b) is showing 108. The main difference is that the revision A allow to select channel width to auto compared to the revision b. I think this is where the final problem is.

My wife's laptop is using atheros for the wireless network and it is connected at n speed (300mpbs).

Took a while, but I think I have solved most of the issues with the 615 revision b.