• April 26, 2024, 12:12:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 drops internet connection and reconnects immediately  (Read 6832 times)

mmunoz99

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 drops internet connection and reconnects immediately
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »

My HW is Version B2 and my firmware is 2.25. My internet conection keeps droping and reconecting. I started off doing this a few times a day but now it does not keep a connection for more than 10 minutes. Please help me TS this iussue. Thanks.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: DIR-615 drops internet connection and reconnects immediately
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »

What region are you in?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking.

What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Cat6 is recommended.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

mmunoz99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
Cable-TWC RR-Turbo
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
Arris model-TM602G/115-Stand Alone
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
No built in router.
To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged.
The ip address is not a 192.168..

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
They were not so I manually added them. I did not think I would have needed to do this since my internet connection is DHCP??
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
QoS is not enabled
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Dont have this option
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Already enabled
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking
done
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
done
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
done
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking.
already enabled
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
my wireless modes are mixed g, n , and b-I changed to mixed n and G
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only.
wpa/personal
What wireless devices do you have connected?
PS3 and EVO smart phone
Any cordless house phones?
yes AT&T 5.8GHz digital
downloaded InSSIDer and there are other WiFi routers...i'm not sure what I'm looking at.
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
done
Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Symantec turned off
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.
Only one PC for testing
Changed cable but cat 5 is all I have right now.

Provided as much info as possible and completed all trouble shooting tips but the problem continues. It seems to be very intermittent…sometimes it wont stay connected for longer than 5 minutes for a couple hours at a time and now it is only happening every 30-90 min. This pattern continues to alternate.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »

downloaded InSSIDer and there are other WiFi routers...i'm not sure what I'm looking at.
How many entries or rows do you see going across. Each row is a Wifi router it's picked up.
Are there any open channels that are not listed or being used? I would try setting the Wifi scan mode from Auto Scan to a channel that is not listed or being used when looking at the InSSIDer application.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

mmunoz99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:32:10 PM »

ok i can do that....however the problem is not neccessarily WiFi droping but my internet conectivity from modem to router.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:08 AM »

What region are you in?
You loose internet also while connected wired to the router?

I would check the logs on the router and modem and see if there are any entries during the time frames you can't get connected.

I have seen many issues with Arris modems. Also check the cable line coming from the cable box out side into the modem. Additional t.v. line splitters will lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend getting a Motorola SB 6121 if your current modem doesn't provide any Phone or TV services and is only for internet.