• July 27, 2024, 01:35:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: One wireless desktop works, one laptop doesn't.  (Read 2641 times)

newuserp

• Level 1 Member
One wireless desktop works, one laptop doesn't.
« on: June 01, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »

For the laptop that doesn't work, it connects to router okay. But every time I enter a website, like www.yahoo.com, it resolves to http:///.  I can't ping any website either.  It's not working wirelessly or wirely.  Everything is standard settings.  Laptop is Lenovo, ISP is Time Warner.  I just bought this DIR615 recently.  Old wireless router works for both computers, but just slow.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
Re: One wireless desktop works, one laptop doesn't.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:31:42 AM »

Firs of all, tell us the hardware version (revision). It is written on the box or the device as "H/W Ver.". While you're at it tell us the firmware version too, it's displayed as "S/W Ver." on the box or at the top on the router's web interface.

Leaving it on default settings is a very bad thing to do, as there is no password for the web administration interface and no security (encryption) for the wireless connections. It would be no wonder if some ill intent individual connected to it and messed around with the settings. Did it ever work? Were you ever able to connect to the Internet?

These routers are not just "plug and forget about it" devices. You must set them properly. You need to configure your internet connection (WAN) type in the web administration interface. Is your IP allocated automatically from your ISP? Is it a PPPoE connection that requires a username and password? You must set all this.

Another thing you probably should do is update the firmware (software on the router) to the latest available version. Tell me the H/W and S/W versions I mentioned above and I'll locate the latest version for you.

The the sensible thing to do is to reset the router to default factory settings, just in case someone messed with it (there is also malware able to mess with unprotected routers). To reset, with the router turned ON, take a paperclip and push it (gently) in the hole at the back where it says "Reset" until you feel a button being pressed down. Hold this button pressed for 10 seconds and release. Wait another 30 seconds and connect to http://192.168.0.1 with your browser. Now, the first thing to do IS SET A PASSWORD for the admin account.

Then you can go to Maintenance TAB then Update firmware from the left-side menu press browse and point to the file with the latest firmware. Choose ok and wait for the update to finish. Please note that this should be performed over a WIRED connection and NOT wireless.

kukubau

• Level 2 Member
Re: One wireless desktop works, one laptop doesn't.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:09:23 AM »

For the laptop that doesn't work, it connects to router okay. But every time I enter a website, like www.yahoo.com, it resolves to http:///.  I can't ping any website either.  It's not working wirelessly or wirely.  Everything is standard settings.  Laptop is Lenovo, ISP is Time Warner.  I just bought this DIR615 recently.  Old wireless router works for both computers, but just slow.

Update the router's firmware as well as the laptop's network card drivers! And look in router's the config menu for mac filtering option. It might be set to allow just one mac address and filter out everything else.