• April 16, 2024, 12:23:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dns-323 and setting up usb printer  (Read 43575 times)

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
dns-323 and setting up usb printer
« on: January 02, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »

Hi

i followed the instructions, connected my usb printer, clicked add printer, saw the d-link dns-323_ip , installed the driver. But when i try to print anything i just get an error communicating with the printer. Anyone have this up and working

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: dns-323 and setting up usb printer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »

No problems here using a Canon USB printer on mine.  The biggest challenge for me was finding Windows 7 drivers for the printer! :D
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »

Start by deleting the printer from the computer and then proceed as follows ...

1 - Connect the printer directly to the computer and install the drivers - make sure it prints.
2 - Disconnect the printer from the computer and connect it to the DNS-323
3 - Go to the printer folder, right click the computer and select properties
4 - Select the ports tab and click add port and select local port, and click new port.
5 - For the port name enter \\<ip_address_of_your_DNS-323>\lp (where <ip_address_ of your_DNS-323> is of course, the ip address of your DNS-323) and click OK and close.
6 - Select the general tab and send a test page.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »

Actually, I just browse to the LP on the D-Link while adding a printer.  After Windows informs me that I don't have a driver, I go through the wizard and select Have Disk and navigate to the folder where I have the drivers.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:41:26 AM »

Actually, I just browse to the LP on the D-Link while adding a printer.  After Windows informs me that I don't have a driver, I go through the wizard and select Have Disk and navigate to the folder where I have the drivers.

Let's put it this way - that doesn't always work - or at least, with the earlier firmware releases, it didn't -  and since perfectdark is having trouble, it apparently still doesn't.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:07:09 AM »

Well, the jury is still out as to whether the other method will do any better. ;)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »

Whilst I wouldn't describe it as guaranteed to work, over the past three years it's been proven to work in instances where your method has failed - feel free to use the search function if you'd like to know more.

jdbos

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »

The method described by gunnerjohn ("browse to the LP on the D-Link") uses Lanman / Microsoft Printing printer resolution and won't work correctly unless the Lanman print server on the DNS-323 is up and working correctly. This is a SAMBA function on the DNS-323. (Knowing that doesn't help much since there is nothing you can configure in the DNS's web interface.)

The method described by fordem ("add port - using IP address") uses so-called "IP Printing" and a different set of IP ports than the Lanman method. It is more likely to work with a wider variety of devices.

Once either method is set up and working they are pretty much equally transparent to the user of the computer, but the underlying network activities are different.

BTW may I emphasize the importance of fordem's step #1. If the printer does not work correctly when connected to the PC, you have *no hope* of getting network printing to work.

Also, some printers use the host computer's CPU to do the page composition and RIPping to bitmap. These printers typically will not work over a network link. You can check lists such as this one
http://www.dlink.com/products/default.aspx?pid=DPR-1260&tab=3
or this one
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093
to see whether your printer appears. If it does not appear on these lists (or other such lists for network print server products) then it likely won't work with the DNS-323.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:04:14 PM by jdbos »

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »

I'll try Fordem's method tonight.

And yes my printer was working fine on my windows 7 PC. Just can't get it to work with the dns-323. Googled this issue and found quite a few users who have had problems or have reported certain printers dont work.

I;ll update this tomorrow

thanks to all

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:50 AM »

The method described by gunnerjohn ("browse to the LP on the D-Link") uses Lanman / Microsoft Printing printer resolution and won't work correctly unless the Lanman print server on the DNS-323 is up and working correctly. This is a SAMBA function on the DNS-323. (Knowing that doesn't help much since there is nothing you can configure in the DNS's web interface.)
I'm curious why the print server would be different for folks running the same versions of firmware.  This worked for me with 1.06, 1.07, and the 1.08 beta versions so far.  I've installed this box in two client locations and used the print server function as well.  I used the same method of connecting the drives.

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 04:22:21 AM »

tried it and still doesn't work.. Is there a compatibility issue with the DNS-323 print server and some older printers? My printer is about 4 years old?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »

There definitely is - a number of the older printers used the Windows GDI rather than an internal rasterization engine, and these typically will not work with any print server, although there are exceptions to that rule.

There are also some printers with quirks (the HP1018 comes to mind) where the firmware has to be loaded before the first print job is sent - this can be done with the DNS-323 - there are instructions elsewhere on the internet.

There may also be driver issues - some of the early HP "all-in-ones" will not work with the original drivers,  but may work if later drivers are used - one example is the PSC1210, which works if the drivers for one of the later models (I don't recall but it may have been the PSC2210) is used.

By the way - these remarks also apply equally to other print servers - it's not the DNS-323 print server that is the issue, but more of of how the printer communicates with the host.

The D-Link UK website has a "shareport" application for the DNS-323, and a matching utility to run on the PC which may resolve your problem - shareport supposedly changes it from a printserver to a remote USB port.

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »

I tried numerous different things and still couldn't get it to work

My printer is a Lexmark 1100x series 3-in-1

any other suggestions

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 05:41:07 AM »

I suspect this may be a GDI printer which requires a direct connection to a computer as much of the printer "logic" is contained in the drivers.

DocD

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »

Hi perfectdark...

No doubt gunrunnerjohn & fordem have it right.  The Lexmark 1100x Series all-in-one seems to require communication with the Lexmark host software in order to accomplish a function (any function).  Strangely, even for making a copy - the computer needs to be turned on and talking with the All-in-One (why Lexmark chose to do this, I cannot imagine).   Page 25 in the user guide mentions this.

That one comment spells trouble for connecting to the NAS.  I doubt the DNS-323 (or any NAS) has the capability to act as a go-between for a vendor specific package.  If the Lexmark is looking for your computer on the USB connection - it's not going to find it.  You are pretty much limited to connecting directly to the computer.  There are print servers out there that specifically handle All-in-Ones - but even that is hit or miss.  If it's not on a compatibility list, you could be out of luck.

Fordem's suggestion about "shareport" is worth a try - it might be your only option.  You've got nothing to lose (except some time  ;D).

Wish I had a more positive message - but it is what it is...   :-\

-DocD 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:04:30 PM by DocD »
2x DNS-323 - both with Firmware 1.08 w/ 2x WD Caviar Green 1T RAID 1 in each
Pages: [1] 2