• March 28, 2024, 06:11:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What does "UPnP Port Forwarding" do?  (Read 77572 times)

jsrober

• Level 1 Member
What does "UPnP Port Forwarding" do?
« on: March 20, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »

I have the DCS-930L.

I see there is an option to enable "UPnP " and "UPnP Port Forwarding".

UPnP is enabled by default
UPnP Port Forwarding is disabled by default

What is the difference between UPnP and UPnP Port Forwarding? What's the advantage to enabling UPnP Port Forwarding?

John

harrv

• Level 1 Member
Re: What does "UPnP Port Forwarding" do?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »

I want to know the same thing. It doesn't describe what this is for in either the online help or in the manual.

flyangel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »

I don't know ,tell me after you get the answer

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »

Here are D-Link's definitions for the UPnP Settings and UPnP Port Forwarding functions:

UPnP Settings - UPnP is short for Universal Plug and Play, which is a networking architecture that provides compatibility among networking equipment, software, and peripherals. The DCS-932L is an UPnP enabled Internet camera that will work with other UPnP devices. This function is enabled by default. If you do not want to use this feature, you may disable it by selecting Disabled.

UPnP port forwarding - UPnP port forwarding will allow a IP camera to communicate with a UPnP compatible network router for simplified local network device access as well as remote access via the Internet. In order to allow for UPnP port forwarding you will first need to ensure that UPnP is supported and working on your router. Once this has been confirmed you will then need to enable UPnP port forwarding on your IP camera. If the defaults ports used are free for port forwarding or if you will need to change the HTTP ports that are in use to allow for proper UPnP port forwarding. After the proper network ports have been assigned to your IP camera you should then be able to access your IP camera over the Internet.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

wadebear

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM »

Here's a more helpful explanation:

UPnP is a streaming media protocol.  You have a server (like your camera) and a client - which can either be a 'box' (like something you hook up to a TV) or a program on a computer.  You can use it to stream movies, music, and photo albums to any UPnP enabled device.  Think of it like your own personal Youtube.

I have a UPnP system set up at our campground.  We have an extensive movie library - but our movies kept getting stolen.  So I stored all our movies on a computer with a UPnP server and installed a UPnP player in the video room (it's the kind that's a box that connects to a TV and is controled by a remote control).  Now our movies can be watched without fooling around with physical media (i.e. DVDs) and they can't be stolen (although someone DID try by hacking our computer to change the permissions on the drive and hacking our router to set up a link to their home computer - fortunately they couldn't get through our secondary firewall).

So:  If I had UPnP turned on in the camera we would be able to view it through the UPnP box in our video room - or on a computer with a UPnP client program.  I don't want this, so I have it turned off.

The UPnP Forwarding setting is to help the camera 'handshake' with your router - assuming your router has UNnP functionality.   This would allow you to view your camera from a remote location via a UPnP client.