COVR - D-Link Whole Home Systems > DIR-LX1870

Furry's DIR-LX1870 Review

(1/1)

FurryNutz:
DIR-LX1870 v1.00 in box, updated to v1.01 B06
5000 sq ft home. 3 levels.

Pros:
There is a Pause button to stop internet access on the home page for those that need this.

You can see what's connected to the remote DIR B Point: Ethernet Connected DIR unit

WPA2 Personal and WPA3 Mixed modes are supported.

The system defaults to WPA/WPA2 so you'll see the "weak security" messages on Apple devices. Once you change to WPA2 Personal or WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode, that message goes away.

Otherwise all the web page UI features are about the same as other prior D-Link routers.

Test Results: Just 1 PC connected while testing.
Gibson Research

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2021-05-07 at 22:01:06

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
 1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
 1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

NAT Kind Test:
http://nattest.net.in.tum.de/individualResult.php?hash=bab37b608ad5d70ee73bcef7b6a21c0a
Result: Port Address Restricted (PAR) NAT
Will see how two xbox game consoles do being the DIR host router.

Ookla Speed Test Results: DIR-LX1870 connected to a NetGear CM1200 cable modem with 1Gb/50Mb ISP service.
PC ethernet connected to DIR router:

Built in Speed Test:

iPhone 12Max connected near DIR router:

First time I've seen anything near 900Mpbs on the iPhone and I've tested with other Mfr AX routers. This maybe due to the fact that the DIR-LX1870 supports OFDMA which is nice.

Wired PC results after putting DIR system online as home router:

Cons:
1. The case style for these units are light weight and easily tip over if you have heavy LAN (CAT6)cables draping from the back of the units. I wish D-Link had made some form of a base stabilizer or something that the unit could sit in and help keep it from tipping over. The units are really light weight. One will need to adjust the LAN cables so that the unit doesn't tip over.

2. I didn't see any where in the process to connect a 2nd or 3rd DIR via ethernet to the 1st unit. I presumed and tested on my own that first connecting a 2nd DIR via extender mode, then connecting the ethernet cable LAN to LAN seems to work. A FAQ or information in the user manual would be helpful outlining in detail how to connect a 2nd/3rd DIR unit via ethernet. I'll try the 2nd DIR connecting to the 1st DIR with a factory reset and just directly connect the 2nd DIR to the 1st DIR LAN to LAN to see if the 2nd DIR syncs correctly.

3. Hard to tell if 2nd DIR is wired or not.

I see RED color status being reported as POOR and on the NESH Network screen. I also see this same color change to AMBER on both of these items. My 2nd DIR is ethernet connected. However it's behind 3 GB LAN switches connected behind the main host DIR router, that are daisy chained which may have some effect on this. Once it was online I connected my iPhone to the 2nd DIR at the remote location and watched the LED activity on the switch as the test was running. I saw constant activity on the switch while the test was running so I believe the 2nd DIR IS in fact ethernet connected. Would be great to see the Quality status report "Wired" when the DIR is ethernet connected.

More to come...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version