• March 28, 2024, 02:03:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 Won't Start Configuration in Easy Search  (Read 9819 times)

Badger

DNS-343 Won't Start Configuration in Easy Search
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:30:27 PM »

I just installed 4 new (unformatted) 1.5TB Seagate drives into my new DNS-343 (FW 1.01), connected ethernet cable directly to computer (running Vista64), and turned it on for the first time, per instructions.  When I run Easy Search (v4.1.0.0 and v4.5.0.0), the DNS-343 shows up (at 192.168.0.32).  But when I click on it and highlight it, the "Configuration" button grays over and is not selectable.  Therefore, I cannot even begin to format the drives.

I'm aware of the firmware issues with the drives, for both D-Link and Seagate, but I don't think I can update either of them until the drives are initially formatted.

Any suggestions, short of returning everything ASAP?

Thanks for your help!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS-343 Won't Start Configuration in Easy Search
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 03:49:02 AM »

Open a browser window to http://192.168.0.32 and see what happens.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »

Hi Badger,

If I interpret your post correctly, you have a cross-over cable connecting your Vista PC to your DNS.  Assume you've set your Vista PC IP stack manually - i.e.

IP Address
Subnet
Gateway

If so, few questions:

1) How did you set the IP information for your DNS?

2) When you ran the Easy Search utility, do you recall any prompts to add the application to list of allowed network application (i.e. Vista firewall)?

3) As per fordem's recommendation, were you able to connect to the DNS via a browser?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »

Just a second - I didn't notice he was connecting directly - he will need to manually set the ip address on the Vista system, that would actually be the cause of the problem.

The EasySearch uses ethernet broadcast to locate the DNS-343, but it invokes a browser session that requires the ip stack to be functional.

Badger

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 01:55:38 PM »

Thanks hilaireg and fordem.

The DNS is attached directly to the Vista PC's ethernet port using the blue cable that came with the DNS.  The PC is standalone right now, no other network connected.

The PC does not see the DNS, so browsing to 192.169.0.32 and also pinging it doesn't work.

I assumed that the DNS was assigned the IP 192.168.0.32 because that is what shows up on the DNS's display and in Easy Search.  Sounds like that is not the case, and I need to manually set the IP somehow, on the PC or on the DNS.  I don't know how to do that in Vista64, which I just got a few days ago and am still learning.  I'll search the help files until I hear back from you.

Vista firewall is turned off, but I added Easy Search to the list of allowed programs anyway.

Thanks again ...

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »

Hi Badger,

I don't believe that the Ethernet cable that shipped with the DNS-343 is a crossover cable.  You will need to obtain a crossover as I don't believe the network adapter in your Vista PC or in your DNS-343 is capable of MDI-X. 

Once you obtain a crossover cable, you'll need to the following to connect to the DNS-343:

1) Vista64 IP Address

Set your Vista PC with a static IP Address; I suggest the following:

IP = 192.168.0.100
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.0.1

The following Microsoft KB article provides a step-by-step on assigning a Static IP Address; use it for reference purposes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955084/en-us

2) DNS-343 IP Address

According to the D-Link documentation, the DNS-343 will self-assign an IP Address of 192.168.0.32.  You should be able to connect to this IP Address with your Vista web browser;

http://192.168.0.32

3) Make sure you are running f/w 1.02

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DNS%2D343

4) Download version 4.5.0.0 of the "Easy Search Utility"; it's required in order to run with f/w 1.02

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DNS%2D343

PS:
~~
You can save yourself a significant amount of time by purchasing a router that provides DHCP.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:19:11 PM by hilaireg »

Badger

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 02:32:19 PM »

Thanks hilaireg, I figured out how to set the static IP, from Vista Help, and that did the trick.  At least it got me to the Configuration step anyway.  Hopefully I can load the 1.02 f/w.  But then it's probably a waiting game for the 1.03 f/w to allow my 1.5TB drives to work.

I do wish I had my new router, but the DIR-855 is on backorder, and I'm waiting for mine like everyone else.  But that's another forum.  D-Link seems to over-promise and under-deliver.  Maybe this will all come together in a month.

Consider this problem solved!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »

Hi Badger,

I don't believe that the Ethernet cable that shipped with the DNS-343 is a crossover cable.  You will need to obtain a crossover as I don't believe the network adapter in your Vista PC or in your DNS-343 is capable of MDI-X. 

Once you obtain a crossover cable, you'll need to the following to connect to the DNS-343:

The ethernet cable is straight through and the NIC in the DNS-343 is capable of MDI-X - most gigabit NICs are.