D-Link Wireless Routers for Home and Small Business > Archive

[1.20] DHCP assigns an IP not even in the same class... WTF???

(1/9) > >>

heartsofwar:
This is the third time I have seen this issue and the second time I have reported it. This router will randomly assign IP v4 addresses that aren't even in the same class.  The first time I saw it, the router would only issued IP v6 addresses...

The router is set to a class C IP range 192.x.x.x but randomly the router is issuing class B 169.x.x.x. Resetting the Router resolves the issue, but seriously D-Link... you need to do something about this. This is not a 1.20 or 1.15 firmware issue as the last time I saw this was back on 1.13. Just another reason I hate this damn router.

FurryNutz:
The router doesn't issue a 169 address string, this is a device self assigned address string that happens on the client device when the device can't get a router based IP address from DHCP server.
http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/sep/24/169-254-0-0-addresses-explained/

heartsofwar:
Then tell me why the router is showing the device in the device list as 169?? This is a wireless device, so if it was auto-assigning 169 itself, the router wouldn't see it at all... I am not stupid. This router has major flaws

FurryNutz:
What is the device that seems to be getting this 169 address? Is it just one particular device or more than one?

heartsofwar:
No, this has happened three times, once with IP v6 only addresses to my entire network, the router wouldn't even assign an IP v4 at all (over 20 devices). Second time was IP v4 class B being assigned to a wireless laptop, and this time class B assigned to a phone. Every time, the router shows the devices in the device list as though they are connected to the router, but obviously they do not talk. In both instances, the wireless devices are only one room away, there's no way its an interference / connectivity issue

1st time was 1.13 firmware (previously reported), 2nd time was 1.13 firmware, 3rd time 1.20 firmware

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version