• April 16, 2024, 01:59:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Requesting help for adding an access point  (Read 3578 times)

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
Requesting help for adding an access point
« on: September 18, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »

Hi,

I would be grateful for some advice on this as I have never done it before. I have been reading up and will read some more, so no need to explain stuff to me in much detail, what I am really hoping is that I can get an opinion on whether it will work or not.

I have a DIR-655 which up to now has been running in WEP mode due to a ****py AP that I use to make my slingbox available to the network. I have just bought a new N based AP instead so that I can run the whole house on WPA2 and hopefully solve some of my current issues with the router. The AP I have bought is an Edimax EW-7416APn (manual here: http://www.edimax.co.uk/images/Image/manual/Wireless/EW-7416APn/EW-7416APN-V1.0_Manual.pdf)

I am going to run it in universal repeater mode, meaning that it can act as a repeater and an AP at the same time. By this I am hoping to (a) Get the slingox connected on N and the whole network moved over to WPA2 to improve N client performance, and (b) Use it as a repeater as it will be in the room beneath my bedroom and currently the signal to there is not very good.

The DIR-655 is in my front room and currently serves the whole 2 up - 2 down terraced house (with strong brick walls!). The AP will be 10 metres away in the back room which is below my bedroom. The slingbox is here and will connect to it. MY bedroom is right above and I am hoping this might fix the wall issue.

So, I am wondering what your thoughts are on this? My initial thought is that things are so close it's probably not worth using it as a repeater, but I am considering trying it.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions :)

EDIT: SHould have said, my chief point of confusion is whether I should set the AP's IP within my own network or leave it as the default (192.168.2.1). Current thoughts are that it will make no difference as the repeater function is simply amplifying signals?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:29:28 PM by tentimes »

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
Re: Requesting help for adding an access point
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »

Hi,

I might suggest you consider a Powerline Extension Kit to get signal to your back room.  The newest version are rated at like 240 Mbps gived or take.  I use an older version that runs at 14 Mbps and its fine for my XBox Live connections.

The higher speed Powerline "HomePLug" kits I have seen run like $140-ish.... There is an intermediate speed like 88 Mbps that costs about $100

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Sammy. I would like to keep things wireless though.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:31:29 PM »

A repeater is always the last you should think of.

As it has to listen to the radio of your router and then forward the packets, it cuts the wireless bandwidth at least to the half.
A universal repeater, which additionally acts as AP costs another amount of bandwidth, so if you plan to stream videos or similar - just forget it.

For you scenario I would prefer a client or client bridge like the DAP-1555 to connect your slingbox.
(DAP-1522 is also suitable but with its internal antennas the range is more or less good enough to connect devices in the same room)

As I see you live in UK and you can also try the DAP-1353 in client mode to connect 1 device to your network.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:25 AM »

In that case I think I will just use it as an AP - sounds like it's not worth running as a repeater. Thanks for the info all :)