• April 17, 2024, 05:25:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Brightness filter for DCS-930l??  (Read 6226 times)

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
Brightness filter for DCS-930l??
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »

I have two 930s...one looking at an inside room, the other looking at my front porch. The picture from the one looking inside is fine.  The picture from the one looking at the front porch is (severely) washed out, even in moderate sunlight.  The camera 'looks through' a window, onto a porch that is shaded with a large roof.  I tried adjusting all the camera setting but they did not help much (if at all).  I tried swapping cameras, and the other one exhibited the same problem.

So, my question is, anyone know of a way to cut down the brightness? I tried afixing a plastic lens from an old pair of cheap sunglasses, but that did not seem to help much. 
Any suggestions on what to use, and how to attach it?

Thanks
J

rjmmoon

• Level 2 Member
Re: Brightness filter for DCS-930l??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

You can change settings in the 'camera settings' in the 'setup' tab, under 'image setup'. You have adjustments for Brightness Control, Contrast Control, and Saturation Control. Play around with settings until you are satisfied.

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »

It looks like I forgot to mention that I tried all of those settings prior to my post.  Ther adjustments were almost useless.  With all the settings at their lowest level, the image was washed out enough so that most of the detail was gone.  No combination of setting adjustments made the image readable.  We are not talking 0.1" resolution here....The cam is looking out a window at a covered porch and a brick wall of the porch.  The image is so washed out in the darkest setting that one cannot make out either the floor or the bricks...it is all one white blob.

This cam uses a cheap CCD imager and the way the iris is controlled is by adjusting the voltage on the CCD brightness pin.  problem is that this capability is not very good.  Well let me correct that....in adjusting for dark conditions (i.e. making the image lighter) it does an OK job.  Enough detail is preserved.  In adjusting for bright conditions (making the image darker) it does darken the image but image resolution is significant - i.e. washed out...but the image is darker, as opposed to a bright washed out image....

So, any other suggestions?

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »

I have two 930s...one looking at an inside room, the other looking at my front porch. The picture from the one looking inside is fine.  The picture from the one looking at the front porch is (severely) washed out, even in moderate sunlight.  The camera 'looks through' a window, onto a porch that is shaded with a large roof.  I tried adjusting all the camera setting but they did not help much (if at all).

Ok well I got another old pair of polarized sunglasses and canibalized the lense and stuck it on, over the camera lense.  Hokey, but it works fine.  Will get me through.   Am still searching for an automatic iris...
If I can find a 'transition lense' (aka polychromatic lense) I think that might work better....the shading will adjust as the light intensity changes...

So, any more suggestions/pointers??
J
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:44:06 AM by three_jeeps »