• March 28, 2024, 11:01:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Vista Media Center and Xbox360  (Read 2529 times)

jadrex

• Level 1 Member
Vista Media Center and Xbox360
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »

I have an unusual problem. I am unable to access my vista media center pc from my xbox 360. i can set it up. access it 1 time then never again. current configuration is Dir-655 router (media center in LAN port 1 and Xbox 360 is connected to a netgear fs605 switch in port 1 which the fs605 is in LAN port 2  of the dir-655. now remember i can setup the 360 as an extender,media center accepts the 8 digit key and i can access and navigate media center through the 360 just fine. i turn the 360 off and right back on and cant access it anymore. NOW THIS IS THE KICKER(if i plug the mediacenter into the switch with the 360. i can access it all the time. if i plug the mediacenter into port 1 on dir655 and 360 in any other port on dir655 (wont work).tried different cat 5 cables. reset router, mediacenter and x360. tried different configurations. and setups, still nothing. i can reconfigure the extender again. and it will connect 1 good time and then back to nothing, but if i connect both directly to switch it works like nothing happened, but my dir655 is still my DHCP in this configuration. ALSO before i upgraded to vista (same PC just had XP) it worked fine no matter how i had it setup, through switch or directly through router. any help would be greatly appreciated

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
Re: Vista Media Center and Xbox360
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

What about simplifing it and seeing what happens without the switch? I am wondering what the effect on NAT translation is due to the switch. Is it possible for you to plug the xbox in directly to the DIR or using a wireless gaming adapter?

My money is on the switch causing the problem ;)

I hope you find a solution :)

jadrex

• Level 1 Member
Re: Vista Media Center and Xbox360
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »

i did. but i did find out what was causing my problem. it would work if both were connected to the switch. come to find out that under (ADVANCED) and then (ADVANCED NETWORK) multicast streams has to be unchecked for it to work without having them both on the switch. now i can put it in any wiring configuration i want. But the thing that gets me is mediacenter for XP worked no matter if the multicast streams was checked or not. All i did was upgrade the same PC to Vista. Does anyone know why?