• April 24, 2024, 05:27:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: SharePort USB utility experience  (Read 118460 times)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
SharePort USB utility experience
« on: September 25, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »

Let's hear it about the new gadget.

I can tell you that I installed it on wired and wireless and it works flawlessly with my HP 843C printer. I even tried a Chinese MP3 player and it was detected and directly accessible.

First impression: OK, got to test whether 2 clients can use/connect to the device at the same time though
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:23:44 PM by EddieZ »
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: SharePort USB utility experience
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »

Played with it too, stuck a USB hard drive into the port and was able to use it with the utility running.  No issues so far.

Neblinio

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »

You can also plug a powered USB hub and connect more than one device to your router. So far it's working great.

Also, you can't have two users connected to the same device at one given time, but it has a nice request feature which shows a message to the existing user.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 02:08:48 PM »

Works without problems with a Samsung CLP 300 color laser printer.

The speed with a USB-storage device is less than 1MB/s, not enough for serious use.
But one can't expect much more from a Homerouter.

Good Job D-Link  :)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »

Works without problems with a Samsung CLP 300 color laser printer.

I am about to buy a Samsung CLP-315 and was wondering it would work with the router now the USB utility has arrived. Thanks for the post!

Attention to all posters: Would be nice to summarize which devices/brands/types (printers, USB drives etc) are compatible and which are not. So please name them in your post.

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »

I've tried with 4 things and 3 have worked (note that only one pc can use a device at a time!):

1: Microsoft Lifecam VX3000 - NOT WORKING
Computer connects to device just fine.  However, whenever any app (Live Messenger, AIM, Skype, Lifecam Console, etc) tries to use it at all, the app freezes for roughly a minute.  Then Vista makes the "device disconnected noise", the D-Link tool clears out the list of devices for a few seconds, then loads it again with the camera "waiting for connection" - if I connect again the process repeats.  If I don't try to use the camera it stays connected.  The problem seems to be with the D-Link driver, since the whole list of devices unloads and reloads after a few seconds.  The router does not reboot during this time.  Additionally, while the app is frozen if I try to disconnect the webcam from the Shareport utility, it says "disconnect failed" and will not reload the list of devices until I exit and reopen the program.
Lycan!  Can you forward this problem to the D-Link engineers?  It would be REALLY SWEET if I could use my webcam with the router, because it would be my new home security system!

2: Logitech USB Trackball - WORKING
What can I say, I move it and click and it works :)

3: Canon iP1600 Printer - WORKING
Works great.  Takes a while to start printing, but be patient and you will be rewarded!

4: Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 4GB Jumpdrive - WORKING
A bit slow but does not have any issues reading or writing data.

Edit:  Lycan! The driver will also intermittently BSOD my XP Pro (32 bit) laptop when it is connected to a device with the SharePoint utility AND I unplug the device from the back of the router without first disconnecting the utility.  Another bug to report!  Although most users probably wont disconnect stuff once it's hooked up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:24:49 PM by Tsumeone »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

Edit:  Lycan! The driver will also intermittently BSOD my XP Pro (32 bit) laptop when it is connected to a device with the SharePoint utility AND I unplug the device from the back of the router without first disconnecting the utility.  Another bug to report!  Although most users probably wont disconnect stuff once it's hooked up.

No issue here. Disconnected printer and USB stick while still connected with SharePort. You might want to check your local drivers...?

Running Vista Ultimate x86.

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »

No issue here. Disconnected printer and USB stick while still connected with SharePort. You might want to check your local drivers...?

Running Vista Ultimate x86.

It happened maybe once out of 5 times.  Definitely D-Link issue, the BSoD referenced a D-Link file "DLinkUDSMbus.sys" or DlinkUDSTcpBus.sys Laptop is rock solid otherwise!  I'm a computer tech for a living, so I wouldn't even post if it was potentially something on my laptop.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:53:48 PM by Tsumeone »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »

So am I...

Thanks for the extra info. Very useful for the techies @ Dlink
'SMbus' reference does indicate that this might not be a generic issue. Perhaps the laptop brand/type for a heads up?

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »

So am I...

Thanks for the extra info. Very useful for the techies @ Dlink
'SMbus' reference does indicate that this might not be a generic issue. Perhaps the laptop brand/type for a heads up?

To be 100% honest, it could have been the D-Link TCP bus driver also, in fact I'm pretty sure it was.  I didn't write down the name and just noticed there are actually two drivers there.  The other one is "DlinkUDSTcpBus.sys"  My event log didn't write any info about it since this laptop is protected with Truecrypt.

For reference, the laptop is an Acer Travelmate 2423WXCI (Travelmate 2420 Series)

I don't care about this bug as much as the webcam problem though, really was amped about possibly using it as my home security system without having to put a pc right next to the door.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »

I attached a USB Hard Drive (Ximeta NDAS + Seagate 7200.11 500GB) - While I can ordinarily get about 18MB/sec from it directly attached to my laptop, it did achieve about 800 KB/sec through the DIR-655. 

Honestly I'm shocked we even have this capability at all- it's been a feature I wanted for a very long time since my first DIR-635 router.  With time I'm sure the slow performance can be addressed and sped up.

My DNS-323 can get 4.3 MB/sec via SMB and over 12MB/sec via multiple FTPs over wireless- so there is room for improvement here, just depends on how much can be squeezed out of the router hardware. 

Wonder if SharePort can be added to the DNS-323?  Talk about the holy grail of storage devices.... storage, usb server, network server, print server, UPS-management server (via usb)....

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »

I attached a USB Hard Drive (Ximeta NDAS + Seagate 7200.11 500GB) - While I can ordinarily get about 18MB/sec from it directly attached to my laptop, it did achieve about 800 KB/sec through the DIR-655. 

Honestly I'm shocked we even have this capability at all- it's been a feature I wanted for a very long time since my first DIR-635 router.  With time I'm sure the slow performance can be addressed and sped up.

My DNS-323 can get 4.3 MB/sec via SMB and over 12MB/sec via multiple FTPs over wireless- so there is room for improvement here, just depends on how much can be squeezed out of the router hardware. 

Wonder if SharePort can be added to the DNS-323?  Talk about the holy grail of storage devices.... storage, usb server, network server, print server, UPS-management server (via usb)....

I wonder:  Is the port on the DIR-655 USB 1.x or 2.0?  Another question for our connect Lycan :)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 04:11:01 PM »

Just a guess, but when the 655 USB port was designed only to act as WCN port I suppose they used USB 1.0. Putting in a USB 2.0 would be useless...

Looking at the throughput rate with USB HDD this might be te case. If not there is just not enough RAM and/or CPU power to get a decent throughput. 

Tsumeone

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 04:14:34 PM »

Yah, that's what I'm thinking.  That could also be why my webcam is unhappy.

Either way, still perfect for printers!  I mean, if the router had this before (oh it also does scanning too) I wouldn't have bought my expensive network AiO :)

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 03:13:13 AM »

You can also plug a powered USB hub and connect more than one device to your router. So far it's working great.

Also, you can't have two users connected to the same device at one given time, but it has a nice request feature which shows a message to the existing user.

Nice, ordered one right away :-)

Only minor possible 'con' is that the whole hub will be reserved by the single user and still does not allow for seperate use of each device. So we'll put in a request for multiple users (if the access model of SharePort allows that anyway). I assume that Lycan is already taking notes here  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:30:41 AM by EddieZ »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7