• March 28, 2024, 04:41:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Port Forwarding doesn't work and tech support is not helping  (Read 54823 times)

jberek

Port Forwarding doesn't work and tech support is not helping
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:38:25 AM »

Ok, so I upgraded to the 1.12 firmware last week and since then, my port fowarding rules are not working. I contacted tech support and they told me to reset the router and to reflash with the 1.12 firmware, but none of that has worked. I wrote them that, but they haven't gotten back to me in a few days. I am not sure what else I should do. I have port 28960 forwarded to a computer (for a COD4 server) and it worked just fine before the upgrade. Now if you go to yougetsignal.com and look it up, it says that the port is closed. The log does not show anything was blocked, but it is not getting to the computer. Anybody have any ideas?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: Port Forwarding doesn't work and tech support is not helping
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »

It's kind of flipped in a way, and I'm not sure if it's been addressed at all...

However, if you remove the rules, it'll be open.  And that's not good, especially if you got the SPI on, as well as NAT port and address restricted settings for the firewall.

Soo...yeah...take it as you will.

Balthazor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

You aren't alone.  1.12 firmware broke my port forwarding rules as well.

Port triggering (the virtual servers tab on the advanced page) seems to function correctly, but this doesn't always work for all games.

jberek

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »

Ok, I tried what Reinvented suggested and deleted the rules, but that did not work. The ports show up now in the log as being blocked.

Balthazor, how do I use the virtual servers rules to forward the ports? Should I remove the port forwarding rules as well?

The wierd thing is that port 21 works, but none of the other ports I have forwarded work. Doesn't Dlink see this as a problem? Do their tech support people not read the forums? WTF?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »

Don't worry about what the log says.

It will say it's still blocked, but you are able to gain a connection. 

Yes, it's strange.

I've tested this up and down with Steam and Warcraft 3 currently.

NOT having the rules in there, at least lets me able to connect and host games, and what not.

Just to make sure, what are your settings for the Firewall?  What kind of filtering do you have on there?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »

I forwarded the case to our PM group. We should get a test and an answer soon.

Balthazor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »

My experience with port forwarding on the 1.12 is inconsistent.  For some applications port forwarding will still allow me to connect and host games (Warcraft 3 and Myth 3.)  For other applications port forwarding will effectively block those applications from communicating (Vonage, Company of Heroes.)

I was able to get Company of Heroes working by using the Virtual Servers tab - which is port triggering.  Port triggering is like port forwarding, sort of.  With port triggering you tell it what port is a 'trigger' port - a port used for outgoing communication on the application in question - and that trigger will activate a temporary rule that will then forward all communication over certain defined ports to the host that 'triggered' the rule.  It is kind of a dynamic form of port forwarding, because it doesn't automatically go to one particular host - just the one that triggered the rule.  After a certain amount of time unused the rule ceases to function until the next time it is triggered.

But port triggering doesn't work with every application - it worked for Company of Heroes and its Relic Online service, but not with Warcraft 3 / Battle.net or hosting Myth 3 games.  And it didn't work for my Vonage phone.

What is strange is that the 1.02 firmware allowed me to just use port forward rules without any rules blocking applications.  Something just isn't right with the 1.12.

jberek

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:21:01 AM »

Ok, so I tried the suggestions. I got the Port Triggering to work, but only when the server was running on the same computer that I was trying to play on. If I ran the server on a different computer, then the port would not open. So I then tried every combination of port forward, special application and virtual servers that I could think of. Nothing worked.

Eventually I added a rule that would forward port 28959 - 28960 (28960 is the port I need) and for whatever reason, it started working after that. It takes a few second for the connection to be established, but it is working for now.

My firewall setting are the default, SPI is on (I tried turning it off, but it did not make a difference).

This whole thing just makes me mad. I spent a lot of money on a "nice" router and it was working perfectly until I upgraded to this firmware. I wish they had a way to just rollback to the older firmware.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »

I've gotten a 1.13 code, but the only alleged fixes are the HT40 issues. I'll hit up PM today about this port forwarding issue.

jberek

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »

Ok, so any word on 1.13 fixing the port forwarding issues. My temporary "fix" has already stopped working and now no ports will forward at all.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »

I'm posting the 1.13, see if it helps. Still not reply from PM group on port forwarding issue.

jberek

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »

Ok, so I installed 1.13 and it is like half way there. It seems to work more often now than it did before. I can usually restart it and then port forwarding rules will work after a little bit. It still sometimes craps out though. Also, it seems really slow to make the connection. Tech Support wants me to capture packets with Wireshark, so I am going to try to do that.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 04:06:18 PM »

I'd like to see those as well.

jberek

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »

Ok, here is the file. The beginning of the file is when it was working (slowly), but then around time 80, I restarted the server program and then it would not work after that.

The attachment is not working, so here is the link

http://www.axloser.info/packet_capture.7z

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 09:18:50 AM »

Perfect. Thanks. I'll have a look and get back to you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6