• March 28, 2024, 01:42:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to setup Filebrowser for remote access to hdd attached to router  (Read 12546 times)

yuncheng

• Level 1 Member

Hello.

The Shareport mobile app on my iPhone has some problems. It shows me all my file names but I can only open some of them. Majority of the files cannot be opened, returned with Error 414.

I came across a couple of posts in this forum of folks who have successfully used Filebrowser for remote access. I would like to try and would need the steps for the setup needed at the router end, such as SMB service port forwarding etc.

My router is DIR-865L, firmware 1.07SHC, which is the latest. Hardware is A1.
My portable hard disk of 4TB is atrached to router via USB. On my computer, I have a mapped network drive Z:\ which I can access the storage and perform all actions on it. I now need similar remote access to the storage. Hope to be able to implement Filebrowser.

Thank you1

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: How to setup Filebrowser for remote access to hdd attached to router
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?

Can you try a small sized drive to see if the error continues? 4Tb may not be supported or work on D-Link routers. 1Tb are usually the max.
 Router USB HDD Max Size FAQ

How to map a USB Drive - How to map a USB Drive to your PC without using Shareport software
USB storage device access - DIR 820L (HOW TO) - http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=58087.0
Sharport and USB Storage Configurations: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=59549.0
http://computer-outlines.over-blog.com/2014/06/nas-1-dlink-dir-626l.html
Storage on DIR-826L Shareport web access (RESOLVED)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

yuncheng

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »

Link>Welcome!

I am in Singapore.

Can you try a small sized drive to see if the error continues? 4Tb may not be supported or work on D-Link routers. 1Tb are usually the max.

When I attach the external hard disk of 4TB, under the router admin page of Setup - Storage, it displays the hard disk information including storage size. Ok, I tested on a 1TB external hard disk. The below are the three test scenarios:-
i) copied original folder from 4TB disk, no change.
ii) copied original folder from 4TB disk, deleted all ".metadata" sub-folders
iii) copied only my files from original 4TB disk, did not copy all ".metadata" subfolders
The above copy/delete on the 1TB disk was done with disk connected to PC. I then attached the 1TB disk to router, and used the Shareport all to files. In (i) scenario, I encountered the same error 414 on a file. In (ii) and (iii), there was no such error. I conclude that the error 414 might have been caused by corruption in the metadata files. (ii) and (iii) somehow re-created the metadata files correctly.
I can close the case on the Shareport app error 414.
I shall try the same on my 4TB disk to see if the error 414 is rectified.

In the above thread, it was mentioned, "If larger USB HDD sizes are needed beyond these sizes, we recommend installing the USB drive on a PC with a dedicated share, connect a USB to LAN converter to the USB drive or get into a NAS device. ". Does this mean there are 3 recommendations:-
(a) I connect the external hard disk to a PC and share out the drive/folders;
(b) plug external hard disk to a USB-to-LAN adapter, then plug the LAN cable into the LAN port of the router;
(c) get a new NAS device to plug into either the USB or LAN port, depending on what is available on the new NAS device? Am I correct?
For (b), does it mean that such conversion of USB to LAN connectivity is supported and router can access the attached hard disk? I had thought of this option but was not certain if it will work. With LAN connectivity, I can also get much better network transfer speed between my PC and external hard disk (I often transfer big music files of 40-80MB.

How to map a USB Drive - How to map a USB Drive to your PC without using Shareport software
USB storage device access - DIR 820L (HOW TO) - http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=58087.0

I have actually done the steps described here. From my PC on home wifi network, I used mapped network drive. I can have full access and manage the files on the storage without any problems. I am trying to set up remote access from Apple apps such as Filebrowser and FileExplorer. Both needs SMB port 445 to be forwarded. Since the external hard disk is attached to router USB (as NAS), the SMB server network IP is that of my router, 192.168.0.1. However, when I tried to define Advanced - Port Forwarding in my DIR-865L with this as the IP Address input, I get an error message, "The IP Address cannot be the same as LAN IP Address". This outcome differs from the above thread that used DIR-826L. Does this mean that this is not support by DIR-865L?

Sharport and USB Storage Configurations: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=59549.0
http://computer-outlines.over-blog.com/2014/06/nas-1-dlink-dir-626l.html
Storage on DIR-826L Shareport web access (RESOLVED)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:39:29 AM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »

Link>Welcome!

I am in Singapore.

When I attach the external hard disk of 4TB, under the router admin page of Setup - Storage, it displays the hard disk information including storage size. Ok, I tested on a 1TB external hard disk. The below are the three test scenarios:-
i) copied original folder from 4TB disk, no change.
ii) copied original folder from 4TB disk, deleted all ".metadata" sub-folders
iii) copied only my files from original 4TB disk, did not copy all ".metadata" subfolders
The above copy/delete on the 1TB disk was done with disk connected to PC. I then attached the 1TB disk to router, and used the Shareport all to files. In (i) scenario, I encountered the same error 414 on a file. In (ii) and (iii), there was no such error. I conclude that the error 414 might have been caused by corruption in the metadata files. (ii) and (iii) somehow re-created the metadata files correctly.
I can close the case on the Shareport app error 414.
I shall try the same on my 4TB disk to see if the error 414 is rectified.

In the above thread, it was mentioned, "If larger USB HDD sizes are needed beyond these sizes, we recommend installing the USB drive on a PC with a dedicated share, connect a USB to LAN converter to the USB drive or get into a NAS device. ". Does this mean there are 3 recommendations? YES.
(a) I connect the external hard disk to a PC and share out the drive/folders;
(b) plug external hard disk to a USB-to-LAN adapter, then plug the LAN cable into the LAN port of the router;
(c) get a new NAS device to plug into either the USB or LAN port, depending on what is available on the new NAS device? Am I correct? YES, NAS has it's own indemendent LAN port so it would just connect to the routers LAN port or a external network LAN switch.
For (b), does it mean that such conversion of USB to LAN connectivity is supported and router can access the attached hard disk? You would access the drive that's connected with a USB to LAN adapter using a Map Drive method. No router configurations should be needed. Remote access would probably need either Virtual Server or Port forwarding configurations. I had thought of this option but was not certain if it will work. With LAN connectivity, I can also get much better network transfer speed between my PC and external hard disk (I often transfer big music files of 40-80MB.

I have actually done the steps described here. From my PC on home wifi network, I used mapped network drive. I can have full access and manage the files on the storage without any problems. I am trying to set up remote access from Apple apps such as Filebrowser and FileExplorer. Both needs SMB port 445 to be forwarded. Since the external hard disk is attached to router USB (as NAS), the SMB server network IP is that of my router, 192.168.0.1. However, when I tried to define Advanced - Port Forwarding in my DIR-865L with this as the IP Address input, I get an error message, "The IP Address cannot be the same as LAN IP Address". This outcome differs from the above thread that used DIR-826L. Does this mean that this is not support by DIR-865L?
Might check with the Mfr of these apps to see what router configurations maybe needed for remote or external access. Possible that there are some differences between router models that may not be supported.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.