• March 28, 2024, 06:02:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: D-Link !!!!  (Read 15130 times)

sideloaded1

• Level 1 Member
Re: D-Link !!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »

Man Lycan coming out with the truth now is a little late. What about 2 months ago? All we heard from EddieZ and supported by you was that we somehow misconfigured our router that was causing the constant instability. The proof shoved in everyones face was EddieZ used 1.32 and it worked fine for him. Now we know that the downgrade myth was a bold face lie, it was infact possible and also the 1.32 firmware was screwed completely up. Why did D-Link and you ruin all your credibility with people on this forum?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 02:36:43 AM »

Cool down, man.  8)
Worry about poverty, the environment oryour health. It's only a router.

You're not addressing the same issues with your statements.

Firmware version 1.2x was a big miss, although not every part of it was disfunctional. But the major enhancements compared to 1.1x were. That's what Dlink tried to prevent: people downgrading to these versions. Because that would revive all hysteria about the 1.2x once again. And yes: misconfiguration is still the most common cause of issues with routers. You can ask any expert.

The 1.3x series is a big improvement and looking at the forum only a couple of issues remain for some users, which are caused by either defective devices (radio part primarily) or misconfiguration.  It is so easy to mess up a router config. You really have no idea.

The fact is that when a firmware is really no good, this will result in generic issues with thousands of users, not just with <100 users. And yes: if my firmware/features works 100%, a malfunctioning device cannot claim that the firmware is lousy. There might be a hardware issue, but configuration is the first in line. Even 1.2x acted terrible on my router, but that will depend on the features you use (I use probably most of them).
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 02:53:23 AM »

Hmmmmm......

If, and I say IF, the majority of people's issues are due to defective hardware as you suspect Eddie, the maybe DLink should issue some sort of special factory warranty "amnesty" program and get all those bad radio units off the street....just a thought.

I think, and I say I, as I can only speak for myself....  One of the main things that has been going on in here these past several months is this:

Most folks who have this router probably never upgraded their firmwware from when it came from the store.  However, if the router defaults to pop up a message to the user that a formware upgrade is available, the average user will do so out of fear that something is amiss, or why would that message have popped up ?

Now throw in to this mix the big "red" message(s) about not being able to downgrade after the user just got a pop up message implying that an upgrade was available (and thereby "required", even tho WE power-users know it is NOT REALLY required)....  It can't help but create confusion in the users mind.  I would suspect that many of us power-users had to step back for a moment and re-read the messages we were seeing....

I think www23 is pretty-much right on target with his concerns.
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 06:11:33 AM »

I am unable to see what concern has been raised by www23. Could be the Google translator is not conveying the message properly, but which concern do you refer to?

www23

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »

The 1.3x series is a big improvement and looking at the forum only a couple of issues remain for some users, which are caused by either defective devices (radio part primarily) or misconfiguration.  It is so easy to mess up a router config. You really have no idea.

tell me the price of this step, the first versions of the firmware 1.3x not working at all
and they came almost a year ago firmware 1.33 appeared only now ;D
not only the DIR-655 and DIR-855, DGL-4500, DIR-825A1, DIR-628
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:30:38 AM by www23 »

mbtoloczko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »

Firmware version 1.2x was a big miss, although not every part of it was disfunctional. But the major enhancements compared to 1.1x were. That's what Dlink tried to prevent: people downgrading to these versions. Because that would revive all hysteria about the 1.2x once again. And yes: misconfiguration is still the most common cause of issues with routers. You can ask any expert.

The 1.3x series is a big improvement and looking at the forum only a couple of issues remain for some users, which are caused by either defective devices (radio part primarily) or misconfiguration.  It is so easy to mess up a router config. You really have no idea.

I'm sure that 1.2x has its bugs, but what I can say for sure is that with the exact same settings, the wireless radio on my 655 does not blink out on 1.21 but does blink out multiple times a day on 1.32 and 1.33.  Why are you such a fanboi?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »

Perhaps each of us has different experiences with different firmwares.
And each of us has different weights of what he needs from his device in his personal home area.

For me the 1.33 is the best firmware since I bought the DIR-655 (Rev A2 / FW:1.02)
It is most stable running without any hickups.
Wireless performance is that what I ever expected to get from 11N.

With 1.11 and 1.21 which a lot here post as best firmwares, I had only troubles.
I used 1.12 and then 1.22 until I updated to 1.3x series which ran for me.
I did not want to downgrade.

You may also call me fanboy because I have a lot of D-Link equipment and a lot of positive experiences.

Up to now my network is running most reliable and that is what I need because I'm working a lot from home office.

If a firmware that runs for most other does not work for you, look for the causes in your home and do not blame the router or firmware first. Wireless is a very sensitive connection and often only needs some small corrections in the settings or change of device location to turn bad into good.

However don't expect it to be a 100% replacement for a wired gigabit line.

Quote from: mbtoloczko
...but what I can say for sure is that with the exact same settings, the wireless radio on my 655 does not blink out on 1.21 but does blink out multiple times a day on 1.32 and 1.33...
If you use a different firmware, you can't expect the same behavior with the same settings. If nothing had been changed, it would not be a new firmware. So try out different settings.
1.33NA firmware is the most performant for the DIR.
(for EU readers : 1.31EU is the sameSDK/kernel version but has different shareport version and some different functions enabled in the web interface)

Yesterday I made some performance tests with different DIR routers and who is interested:

http://lizzi555.dyndns.org/655/SpeedCmp855_825.html
or
http://lizzi556.dyndns.org/655/SpeedCmp855_825.html

Edit: some typos
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:23:10 AM by lizzi555 »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 03:10:13 AM »

nice test, Lizzi555!  :-*
In addition, the wired Gb part will do much better without your ION connected. I can get the max for my Synology Diskstations (that's about 100 MB/s), so with a Gb PC attached you will see even more performance.

Nice to see that anyone with an opinion (which even includes criticism towards Dlink) that does not support the Dlink bashing is labelled 'fanboy'. You always make me laugh, thanks for that  ;D

mbtoloczko

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 08:39:40 AM »

You crack me up as well.  I have never told anyone to avoid using any firmware or implied that anyone didn't have sufficient understanding to make their router work effectively.

lizzie555, to follow up on your suggestion, I tried a variety of settings with 1.33NA before giving up on it.  The first two sentences in your post sum it up.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:56:36 PM by mbtoloczko »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »

I have never told anyone to avoid using any firmware or implied that anyone didn't have sufficient understanding to make their router work effectively.

I have  :D

sideloaded1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »

Nice, showing your true colors.  :-\

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:43 PM »

Nice, showing your true colors.  :-\

We are much alike... ;D

sideloaded1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »

nope. :-\

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 03:28:23 PM »

You're absolutely right: you're even worse. I read you're remark and comparison with Nazi's on another thread.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 08:18:24 AM »

OK.
Time to LOCK.

Thanks for the useful testing info Lizzi once again you prove to be a true asset.

-Lycan.
Pages: 1 [2]