• March 29, 2024, 01:56:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unresponsive as hard drive fills up  (Read 1624 times)

wickedlemon

• Level 1 Member
Unresponsive as hard drive fills up
« on: February 01, 2020, 09:12:56 AM »

I've had a couple of DNS-320L for many years and have encountered this problem on numerous occasions in that time. I have two 3TB and two 4TB drives in a 320L and a 320LW all just regular drives - no raid. As the drives start filling up I struggle to be able to add new files, eventually getting to the point where I even have difficulty navigating the Webui or deleting existing files to make the NAS usable again. I know full drives can cause issues in any system - the problem is that this behaviour starts kicking in once the free space gets lower than about 400GB so I'm having to keep 2TB free across the 4 drives to avoid issues!

The capacities reported in Webui, Windows (size and size on disk) all seem to be comparable. I've tried all the obvious things. There are no quotas no recycle bin for any users (there's only 1 user and admin). No camera software running.

I've seen other people on here over the years with similar issues but never seen any satisfactory solution. Is there any reason why the NAS need so much free space available?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Unresponsive as hard drive fills up
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DNS? Look at the sticker behind or under the device.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DNSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Are you still able to access your files?
Files are not corrupt or encrypted are they?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:25:26 AM »

Do you have the recycle bin active and if so when did you last clean it out?

The other thing is to consider the way windows reports Linux file system used and free space on a Linux formatted disk there is also the matter of the overhead from the fact you have a software raid setup - yes even individual disks are considered a raid setup.

Something you could try is to download a live Linux ISO and either burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB and boot from that and see what it reports for the free space on your disks.

wickedlemon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 04:32:16 AM »

Sorry for the slow reply.

There is no Recycle Bin active. This was the first thing I checked.

Windows and the NAS both report pretty much the same disk usage. A few MB difference.

Firmware is 1.10. I can't get to the back of the NAS to check the hardware version at the moment. I'll try later.

I'm going to try emptying a disk, as I have a big enough USB drive to move it, and see what the file sizes say then.

In the case of the Linux has an overhead, this shouldn't result in the free space on the device being reported wrong surely? Wouldn't it just effect the reported capacities?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 08:41:16 AM »

To reply to your last statement, I did not say that Linux has an overhead but that the software raid does impose an overhead.  Small variations can be from the way operating systems count megabytes - 1024 or 1000 bytes.

Another thing you could check is to see if there are ant hidden directories on the disks.  I don't know how to do that in windows  but there is an option in Linux file viewer that allows showing hidden directories and files.