• April 24, 2024, 05:08:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rebuilding - Is this normal behaviour  (Read 10267 times)

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
Rebuilding - Is this normal behaviour
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »

My NAS seems to be rebuilding alot since either changing to RAID5 or updating the firmwre to 1.05b01.
Is this because I have Enabled Auto-Rebuild selected? I thought Rebuilding only happens if a newly inserted hard drive was added? I have aready configured my 4 drives as RAID 5, but seems to start rebuilding after a system restart.
Some information on this subject would be great, cheers

TOR889

• Level 1 Member
Re: Rebuilding - Is this normal behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »

No, it's not normal.

Very likely you have a drive(s) failing.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37419.msg121081#msg121081

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:29:47 PM by TOR889 »

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:07:25 AM »

I've run a short scan on the drives and came back as ok, so how do I know which drive is failing? Cheers

TOR889

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »

First of all, I have 'Auto-Rebuild' disabled.

When the unit shows 'DEGRADED' again, login onto the config page.
Goto the 'STATUS' tab. Under drive info, you would see a list of drive with the drive serial number and the drive status displayed. Just copy down the serial number with the status 'DEGRADE'

Then proceed to rebuild the volume. When it degrade again, check again to see if the same drive is degraded.

The tricky part is if you have more than one drive in distress, diagnosis may be a little tricky. But the procedure is still the same.

Have fun!

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »

Ok, I found out that one of the drives was abnormal, so have changed it.
I brought it secondhand last week and before inserting into the NAS I used the Seagate tools to check the drive and it came back as ok.
Is there another way to test the drive as faulty?

TOR889

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »

I bet if u run a full SMART test on that drive, the test very likely will not be able to complete because of errors.

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »

Left it to rebuild for 2 days to find out it was still rebuilding then I restarted the NAS and said Volume_1 degraded but all drives says normal so running the rebuild again.. wft is going n here seems to be an issue with others in bay 4
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=14053.0
Can someone from DLINK please help me out here, it's beginning to annoy me now, I've run another test on the hard drive pulled out of bay 4 in another computer and it comes back as passed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:43:28 PM by Clayton »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 05:28:02 AM »

I've read too many threads regarding RAID issues in these forums over the past two years (and have been following this thread, but had nothing constructive to contribute). Given this tainted history, I've avoided RAID on the DNS-343 altogether and configured all four HDDs as standard volumes, with a second DNS-343 for backup. Although clunky, I haven't encountered one data-threatening issue in over two years with this configuration.

Given the low price point of this unit, my expectations for RAID (and other advanced features) were rather low to start with and I decided to play it safe. Keep in mind that the DNS-343 uses software RAID and does not have dedicated RAID hardware akin to more expensive storage devices.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:59:37 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »

Thanks, I guess I'd better save up for a better RAID NAS, so if I was to combined all disks JBOD and one drive fails I have lost everything?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »

Thanks, I guess I'd better save up for a better RAID NAS, so if I was to combined all disks JBOD and one drive fails I have lost everything?

Yes. JBOD has no redundancy. I see where you are going...I would also like to have all my files stored on one large volume rather than four smaller directories, but data security comes at a price.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:46:33 PM by JavaLawyer »

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »

I'll think I'll go for the 4 volumes, very annoyed about my RAID volumes being unstable on this unit, I've tried 2 new drives in bay 4 and rebuilt the raid volumes, it says it's completed in the web interface but still says rebuliding on the NAS so after a restart of the NAS I get the degraded message again and it's always pointing to bay 4, so is there no fix for this problem?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »

I'll think I'll go for the 4 volumes, very annoyed about my RAID volumes being unstable on this unit, I've tried 2 new drives in bay 4 and rebuilt the raid volumes, it says it's completed in the web interface but still says rebuliding on the NAS so after a restart of the NAS I get the degraded message again and it's always pointing to bay 4, so is there no fix for this problem?

Have you owned your DNS-343 for over a year? If you're under warranty perhaps you can secure an RMA for a replacement device.

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »

I've only had it for 5 weeks, do you think the unit is faulty?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »

I haven't a clue, but if tech support is unable to resolve your issue, they will issue an RMA. The wait on the phone to speak with someone isn't long, it's the grueling steps they put you through during the call that are painful.

Clayton

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »

I want to advoid all of that, could it be one of the other 3 hard drives are failing?
Pages: [1] 2