• April 19, 2024, 04:24:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Shareport utility for MAC  (Read 19607 times)

adamauden

• Level 1 Member
Re: Shareport utility for MAC
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 09:51:54 PM »

Soon.......I was promised one before the end of the year, but we'll see how that goes.  :-\

Any update on this?  I've just been referred to the forums by tech support saying they have no information.  Looks like there's a good number of threads without reply out there too.  Is this indicative of the mac client having stalled?

Would be really keen, the tech is working great with my wife's windows laptop! :)

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 06:53:25 AM »

I doubt very seriously if we'll make a Linux version.

I'm lead to believe that MAC OS is based on a Linux style operating system.  If / when the MAC version shows up, it should be easy to bring it into Linux???

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »

I'm lead to believe that MAC OS is based on a Linux style operating system.  If / when the MAC version shows up, it should be easy to bring it into Linux???

OS X (though there will be those who will feel the need to step in and mention Darwin) is based (very loosely) on BSD Unix among others.

It is a Unix OS.

Linux is a Unix clone.

However hardware management as well as kernel concerns are as different as night and day.

The biggest issue however will be that while the Linux community tends to be extremely FOSS agenda aware (especially given the Linux Kernel is the poster child for FOSS projects), OS X users as a whole (there are exceptions, I am one of them) don't know what FOSS stands for or what it means.

Usually when I try to give them the "Free as in beer, or Free as in speech" rhetoric, I usually find that I have just accidentally agreed to buy them a beer.  The good news is if I enjoy one with them all tend to go home happy.

In other words it is not impossible to release a closed driver in Linux (look at Nvidia), however it is unlikely (due to level of additional effort) and there will be some level of outcry (search out my Kernel Taint quote if need be).  It is however generally unheard of (again always with the exceptions) to have an open source OS X driver.
non progredi est regredi

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 08:37:32 AM »

Seriously.  Why is this utility an .exe?  I'm very disappointed.

Also while I am here, I found this comment hilarious, so I will respond in kind.

Because that way 90% of the computing public can use it.

After all most windows users would not be able to append their own executable extension if need be.

*** Edited by Fatman to make the joke more fair to everyone.
non progredi est regredi

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

Seriously.  Why is this utility an .exe?  I'm very disappointed.

Any other formats for an application on x86 Windows available and useable for the general public?
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 12:45:34 PM »

Any other formats for an application on x86 Windows available and useable for the general public?

You keep this up people are going to think you are my parrot.
non progredi est regredi

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

You keep this up people are going to think you are my parrot.

Can I be? ;)

Edit: Just returning a favor

thisbe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

I just registered so I could post to this subject.  We have a mixed OS network, but as the family Systems Administrator, and a Mac user, I expected when I purchased this unit that everything about it would be Mac Compatible.  It wasn't until I found out that a new drive is coming home tonight for me to install that it would work fine on the pee cees, but not on the Macs.  There's no reason not to have this important feature be Mac compatible.  It's one of the reasons we chose this unit, and switched from our old Netgear router.  Dlink, please don't fail me.

-Diane

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »

Believe you me, you don't want this feature people.  It is a joke, and it is being pushed as something it isn't.

And this next part isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

I really hate when people say PC and mean IBM compatible clone using an intel x86 compatible processor running a version of the Windows Operating System.

PC was a marketing term pushed by Apple for centuries, it does not apply to Windows users any more than it does Mac users.

BTW: I am also a Mac user, not that I use it exclusively, work would forbid that, but it is my OS of choice at home.
non progredi est regredi

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »

I just registered so I could post to this subject.  We have a mixed OS network, but as the family Systems Administrator, and a Mac user, I expected when I purchased this unit that everything about it would be Mac Compatible.  It wasn't until I found out that a new drive is coming home tonight for me to install that it would work fine on the pee cees, but not on the Macs.  There's no reason not to have this important feature be Mac compatible.  It's one of the reasons we chose this unit, and switched from our old Netgear router.  Dlink, please don't fail me.

-Diane

You might want to prepare a bit before buying a product...if it (compatibilty) is not mentioned anywhere it isn't there. Cross platform compatibilty/availability is stil very rare these days  :o
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:50:56 AM by EddieZ »

thisbe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »

Well, 12 hours later and it's working very well on the PCs.  I did look into cross-compatibility on this item, and just assumed that once the Shareport software was released it would be cross-platform.  It works fine for our router, but I'd really like to have the Network Disk available on our Macs.  If you need a Beta tester I'd be happy to help.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »

Well, you do know what happens when you ASSUME things  ;D

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »

To assume is to make an as. out of you and me  :D

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 08:24:27 AM »

There is a 1.30 in the works for the 655. It's a completely different build then before. New vendor used for shareport, boasts Mac compatibility. Once we get a beta and the go ahead, I'll post it here.
As for Fatmans comment, it works as it's intended.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 08:30:31 AM »

Does it take 2 people to make the same joke at the expense of a person looking for help with 3 posts to their name?

I didn't say it didn't work, just that it is not what most people want it for.  it does not do any of the following.

network storage
print server
cleaning services
colonoscopy
garage door opener

As you can see some of these would have been unreasonable requests in the first place, but thread after thread refer to Shareport as if it is going to make the first 2 happen.  It will not in any way shape or form make either of those things happen.  What it will do is make a USB device (of any nature) accessible to 1 computer on your network running the Shareport client.  No concurrent access, as it is just encapsulating the USB protocol in Ethernet.
non progredi est regredi
Pages: 1 [2] 3