• April 19, 2024, 10:59:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 - Can not print from Print Server  (Read 14917 times)

zeewee

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 - Can not print from Print Server
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »

hi all. this is my first post.

the setup for the dns-323 was pretty straight-forward...untii I got to the USB print server.

I have the DNS-323 hooked up to a Linksys WRT54GS (I know, old school).
Printer: HP LaserJet 1018
installed latest driver from hp.com on the windows machine.

I am able to add the shared printer (which has a default name of lp) on my windows xp pro machine. However, when I send it a print job, nothing happens.

tried:
cycling power on DNS-323.
cycling power on USB printer.
cycling power on router.
restarting the DNS-323 thru the web GUI.
deleting and re-installing the network printer.

I am 100% sure I mapped out to the network drive, b/c I named my box with a NAS suffix.

someone help!!! thanks :)

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: DNS-323 - Can not print from Print Server
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:38:16 PM »

As far as I know the Laserjet 1018 is a so called host based or GDI printer.
Most standard printservers do not support these printers.
They need to be connected directly to your windows machine.

However, there might exist some special printservers supporting this kind of printers.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:17:51 AM »

The 1018 is a special case - apparently it requires code to be sent it it on every power up before it knows what to do with a print job.

Here's a trick you might want to try - connect the printer directly to your computer and print a test page.  Next without powering the printer off, disconnect it from the computer and connect it to the DNS-323 and try to send a page to it - see if it prints - it should, and it should continue to print until the next time you switch it off.

I believe it can be made to work with the DNS-323 without your having to jump through hoops everytime you power it on, but, it's a little more complex than just loading drivers and creating a queue.

zeewee - check your PM
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:21:16 AM by fordem »
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

zeewee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:26:11 AM »

thanks, i'll give it a shot tonight when i get home!

zeewee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »

thanks!!

connecting it to my computer,
printing a test page,
leaving it powered on and then connect to DNS-323
print from NAS_printer

works!!

thanks so much, i was banging my head forever.

Jackal Tackle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »

The 1018 is a special case - apparently it requires code to be sent it it on every power up before it knows what to do with a print job.

Here's a trick you might want to try - connect the printer directly to your computer and print a test page.  Next without powering the printer off, disconnect it from the computer and connect it to the DNS-323 and try to send a page to it - see if it prints - it should, and it should continue to print until the next time you switch it off.

I believe it can be made to work with the DNS-323 without your having to jump through hoops everytime you power it on, but, it's a little more complex than just loading drivers and creating a queue.

zeewee - check your PM

Can you send me what you sent the other guy? I have the HP LJ 1020 and have been having problems, too.

shadowsports

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »

Can you send me what you sent the other guy? I have the HP LJ 1020 and have been having problems, too.

jcm267... 
I have a 1020 also.  The same steps apply.  Install printer as USB, send a test print.  Once successful, connect your printer to the (USB) "print server port"on the back of the 323.  Now follow the instructions for adding a printer.  You will be asked for drivers, point the installer to the directory where your 1020 was installed.  Verify by sending another test print.  You'll be good until the printer is power cycled again.   ;) 
Linksys e4200 Rev. 1.0 f/w 1.0.03
Box 1: Linksys NAS200 1TB f/w 3.4R75
Box 2: Dlink DNS-323 4TB ext3 h/w B1 f/w 1.09
Roku N 1080p
Roku G 720p
wvc54gca
Cisco VOIP Phone
Linksys e3000 dual band f/w 1.0.0.4 (back up)
WRT-54G2 & G (past)
DIR-655 Rev B1 f/w 2.01na (Returned)

jeat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »

zeewee - check your PM

I'm new with this forum, i intend to buy a 323 for file sharing and printer sharing, i do have a HP-1020. Like what you said, is it i can't print from the 323 if the PC that connect the printer previously was shut down? If i switch off the printer, next time it wouldn't able to print again and have to do the step like you said? Am i correct?

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »

For DNS-323 DLink has a software called "SharePort". This software basically routes the USB port of the NAS to the client software ("USB over Ethernet") and, if the client connects to the printer via NAS, it will be handled as if it were directly connected to the PC.

Visit http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DNS-323, click on "Support Resources". DL the SharePort AddOn *and* the SharePort utility (either PC or MAC, depends on your computer type).

Hope this helps.

//HSishi