• March 28, 2024, 12:50:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Problem with Pink/Purple drive lights on DNS323  (Read 58674 times)

rhysee

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problem with Pink/Purple drive lights on DNS323
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »

Hi cnsIT , I noticed you are using model  WD10EARS  drives..

I doubt this is reflective of your issues , most likely your customer giving the power switch a flick every night is the real culprit.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12977.0

cnsIT

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2010, 05:45:01 AM »

@rhysee
  Thanks for the link, I will keep this in mind. I thought I did my research and just finding these out.

I'm sure it was the client, however I'm not ruling any other possibilities. Could have been gama rays for all I know.

HairyOne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »

If the 'pink' lights are hard on - the drives are in standby mode!!
access the drives - or access the address for the 323 - within 10 seconds the lights go out!!
and the drives are accessible again and the light go back to 'Blue'. ;D

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2011, 04:14:32 AM »

If the 'pink' lights are hard on - the drives are in standby mode!!
access the drives - or access the address for the 323 - within 10 seconds the lights go out!!
and the drives are accessible again and the light go back to 'Blue'. ;D

Nope - when in standby the drive light(s) should remain on (blue) and the blue backlight on the power button should turn off.

Amber drive lights are a drive failure indication.  Pink lights are "undocumented" and believed to be a result of the blue & amber LEDs being flashed simultaneously.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »

ahem, login to your dns-323, type command df and press enter. you might see something like this:

ronin@paks_kaks:~$ df
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    9911      7689      1710  82% /
/dev/root                 9911      7689      1710  82% /
/dev/loop0                5760      5760         0 100% /sys/crfs
/dev/md0             476852744 441402072  35450672  93% /mnt/HD_a2
/dev/sda4               497861      1974    495887   0% /mnt/HD_a4
/dev/sdb4               497861        85    497776   0% /mnt/HD_b4

you should look at rootfs use %. I got purple lights when I installed twonky buttwards and under certain conditions (playing .flac files on my wdtv live over network) rootfs was filled up with temporary files. when that happened, lights went purple and weird things started to happen. it has nothing to do with physical drives. rootfs resides on virtual drive in memory, does it not? or at least it has really small space allocated to it..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:10:42 AM by 47th_ronin »

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2011, 11:06:33 AM »

I had a similar situation a while ago. / filled up (actually /tmp as I recall) and I had the purple LEDs. Cleared the files, rebooted and has been normal ever since.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

HairyOne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 04:57:14 AM »

further sorry!
I have 3 DNS-323's, each with 2x 1T drives, and reach running ffp.
2 DNS323s don't ever come up with the pink lights - I've turned drive standby off!!
and the third device - my play machine (MPM)!
MPM has the two drive lights and the power light that go hard on pink and stay on when the drives go into standby, after attempting to access the drives, the lights go out and (about 5-6 seconds and you can here the drives click on), all go normal blue.
I also have to say that I recently loaded some new software, and it kept running out of room, as it was trying to store a rather large file (5meg) into /tmp, instead of /ffp/tmp.
My 'pink' lights appeared after that event, and still continues today (even after the /tmp problem has been fixed).
The relationship between the two? I think I may have been holding my tongue to the left of my mouth, as the wind blew from the east!
I have no idea - but that is what is happening - I have NO drive problems, (all tests) I have had a 1T drive fail after 2 weeks ( about two years ago now) and the light was flashing orange, replaced that drive, but not even in this new pink machine!

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »

hi all. i just got this problem with the pink lights.

so this is how i think it happened.
i had an old 500g drive that was formatted for dns323 and i forgot what was on it. so i turned off the dns323 took out the 1.5T and put in the 500G.

after doing so the dns323 was fine for about 20min then it went pink. i can access the web interface but not the drives. sometimes the drives shows up on the info page and sometimes there are lines (-) where the info should be.

i have upnp enabled.(i think this is making it fail)

i think i fix it by resetting to defaults. but i have not enabled upnp yet.

dcars

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »

its seems that this issue was first noticed way back 2009 (looking at the first post), has anyone reported this to dlink? i had this issue also and looking at their support website, there hasn't been a firmware update since 2/26/2010 (south east asia). i agree to one of the guys here that it has nothing to do with the physical drives. i've tried several hard drives of different capacities. all encountered the same issue. it usually happens when i'm doing large file transfers (Gb's of data) to and from the device. if there hasn't been a fixed for the past 2 years, does this mean that dlink has aleady given up support for this product? could this also mean that this device has already reached its EOL? i still see stacks of this from a local computer store. i'm running on the 1.08 firmware in order to support 2TB drives. i didn't bother calling them for help because i'm sure none of the phone reps wont be of any help. this has to be taken to their engineering or firmware development team for proper action. this issue has caused us considerable time and effort trying to safe keep our precious data. i hope that dlink will give due action to this issue.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2011, 01:00:16 AM »

Haha,

in your dreams.

You can find the resignation post of the dlink's official representative (and forum moderator) here.  Dlink has abruptly stopped development of the 1.10 version and won't release a final version any time soon, IMHO. It is a total mystery to me why people continue arguing whether this device is still supported or not. It is NOT, obviously.

Another fantastic observation is the fact that this device's software acts RANDOMLY. Take a look at the problems posted by users in this forum if you don't believe my word. For example, I've had anonymous share access working fine for quite a while after upgrading to 1.08. As soon as I added a new user to the list, the software suddenly woke up and decided that "Hey, I am version 1.08, anonymous access is not supposed to be allowed!", asking for username/password from this moment on. I am not a linux fan but I would have never believed it can be programmed to behave in such an irrational way if I haven't seen it with my own eyes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]