• March 28, 2024, 06:35:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to login to my router  (Read 9198 times)

larrylmitchell

• Level 1 Member
Unable to login to my router
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »

Had a surge protector go bad on me today, but it didn't just die - it was turning on and off every few seconds.

After replacing the surge protector with a simple power strip that I had on hand I tried to get my internet back up.  I found that I was able to connect directly with my cable modem but my router wasn't letting any of my 3 computers connect through it.

After troubleshooting via command line I discovered none of my computers were pulling DHCP addresses from the router.  I set a static address on one of my computers to login to my router but for some reason I can't.

I'm thinking that somehow with the power going on and off the firmware on the router got wiped somehow and I don't know of a way to install firmware on the router without being able to login to it (login to the current firmware).  The router itself appears to be operational because it powers on and the lights come on when cables are plugged into the ports, it just seems like it has no brain.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: Unable to login to my router
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »

Your router is probably hosed then.  Nothing you can do about that.

larrylmitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:58:07 PM »

Seems like a waste to get a new router if this one can be saved.

I also forgot to add that I did try to use the reset button a couple times on the back (holding for 10+ seconds) with no luck.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »

Seems like a waste to get a new router if this one can be saved.

I also forgot to add that I did try to use the reset button a couple times on the back (holding for 10+ seconds) with no luck.

That's just the thing, it CANT be saved.  Sounds more like damaged internals than anything.

larrylmitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »

That's a shame, I think I've had it for 4 years.

I was thinking I might try the LINKSYS WRT54GL as a replacement.  Both the DGL-4100 and the LINKSYS WRT54GL got top ratings on newegg.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »

That's a shame, I think I've had it for 4 years.

I was thinking I might try the LINKSYS WRT54GL as a replacement.  Both the DGL-4100 and the LINKSYS WRT54GL got top ratings on newegg.

The WRT54GL's are GREAT routers.  If you like to tinker with settings, and make it even better you can throw DD-WRT on there.  Lots more settings, and even WDS if you really want to expand it.

larrylmitchell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:20 PM »

Well settings are great, sad thing is even though I'm knowledgeable enough to configure them I never even bothered to configure my DGL-4100.

While I haven't been in need of a wireless network in the past, I might consider using it in the future which is why I was thinking of getting the LINKSYS WRT54GL instead of getting another DGL-4100.  I know there is a DGL-4300 and a DGL-4500 that have wireless capability, but as I mentioned before I haven't bothered to take advantage of all the features that the DGL routers are capable of.