• April 22, 2024, 11:19:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Reading the volumn from the harddisk directly from windows?  (Read 3613 times)

CyberTron

• Level 1 Member
Reading the volumn from the harddisk directly from windows?
« on: January 17, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »

I previously have a 1 x 1TB inside my dns-343. I've not replaced it with 4 x 1.5TB with the new beta firmware.

The question is whether it is possible to copythe data in my old 1TB harddisk directly from windows xp/vista?

I tried to use the ext2 driver for windows, and it shows the partition as Linux instead of ext2. Or I can read it using a Linux Live CD option?

What kind of partition is used on the dns 343? LVM? md raid even for single harddisk?

VideoGuy

• Level 1 Member
Re: Reading the volumn from the harddisk directly from windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:00:09 AM »

I’m not an expert but I think the dns-343 uses either ext2 or ext3 file systems.  These are Linux/UNIX type files systems.

I did the same thing you are trying to do.  I used a free Windows application (Ext2IFS) and was able to connect the disk to my Windows XP machine, and copy the data to my newly formatted drives in the dns-343.  Ext2IFS can read ext2 and ext3 file systems.  You can google for Ext2IFS and find the software.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

Correct!
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

vgisin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »

Just for the record, this software doesn't run under Windows 7....