• April 24, 2024, 05:59:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 320L some settings lost  (Read 2128 times)

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
320L some settings lost
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:44:28 PM »

Tried to install Zoneminder after days of trying to get this and that running and I rebooted the NAS.  Zoneminder needed starting so I clicked the green arrow

and everything froze....

after several attempts or rebooting, checking this and that I had to click Restore Default Settings, remove Zoneminder and it seemed OK until I can't access my media.  On checking I've had to enter mydlink account, network shares and a few other things but everytime I reboot the settings disappear

Please help

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: 320L some settings lost
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »

Do you have Perl installed on your NAS (this is a prerequisite for running Zoneminder, you also should have PHP installed)?

I assume you got the Zoneminder addon from the Ukraine site, which as far as I know is not an official D-Link site so technically installing any of those addons mwans you are on your own regarding support unless it is available from that site.

Now regarding your problem.  Just doing a reset from the web UI is unlikely to do what is needed.  You should do a 'Restore to Factory Defaults' by pressing and holding the reset button for more than 5 seconds (note this will do what it says - restore everything except the data on the disks and any firmware updates to the condition that the unit had on leaving the factory).  You may also need to reformat the disks to clear any odd scripts left behind by the various addons and then restore your genuine data.

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »

Thanks for reply ivan

Yes had both perl and phpMyAdmin installed

Will try the 'Restore to Factory Defaults' option but don't have anywhere to transfer my media/data and can't accept losing it.  So if it doesn't fix by doing this and hopefully my files are still accessible I'll probably end up replacing the 320L with something more flexible then take the 320L to somewhere where's there's a steamroller and make the 320L into a work surface at least it'll be more useful.

I know there's a few DLink product supporters out there, who have technical knowledge/know how, but it's a Network Attached Storage device and should be capable of working with other network devices but it's restricted by both non DLink products and usability and that's why I'm negative towards DLink and people only realise this after purchase - not a good business plan

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 03:34:36 AM »

it's a Network Attached Storage device

I think that is the main problem - it is a storage device and that was what all the D-Link NAS boxes were originally designed to be.  That is all we have ever used them for, to store data and backups.  Unfortunately not all devices that can be connected to a network use the standard network communication protocols in standard ways and therein lies the problem.

At the moment I think that you are someone that should be looking at an HP ProLiant N40L micro server, installing Linux or win server on it.  With 4 drive slots and the ability to have something like an Icy Dock hot swap caddy in place of the CD you end up with a full home server. (any questions about it pm me)

As a final thought I can see why people get frustrated when they push these simple NAS boxes to the limits and something falls over.  I can also understand the frustration of people that find bits of equipment that one would think should communicate together but they don't because the communications protocols are not written to the standard but use some API that only works with one operating system.  Unfortunately there is no answer to that last problem (we have been forced to run a copy of windows in a VM just to be able to help some clients sort out their problems). 

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:06:36 AM »

I agree with most of your reply except the "storage device"  take a look at Amazon, as an example based on "the sales pitch"

And it's a media device and a surveillance device (for DLink cams only) as these are standard

I don't believe I've pushed my 320L to the limits.  The only backup on it is when I reinstalled OS(s) and programs to a fully functional system (PC's / laptops) then manually backed up the disk to 320L.  I store mainly movies and music to watch/listen via SMB and I recently purchased an IP Cam to store motion detected video via FTP or other to the 320L.  These should be simple to implement and not push the device.  But because the inbuilt surveillance app is restricted to DLink devices I've had to use an "unauthorised" addon.  I'm greatful to vtverdohleb for all the effort he's done in creating additional apps to improve/derestrict the device and will never hold him responsible.

I'm pretty certain that if DLink was a UK or European company they wouldn't be able to sell some of their products and would receive harsh comments regarding their customer support "system".

But that's me and my opinion

Regarding pm - I will take a rain check if that's OK with you.  Still trying fixes but whilst taking stress reducing breaks