• April 16, 2024, 04:24:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Another Question about Adding Drives  (Read 4562 times)

trackfan

• Level 1 Member
Another Question about Adding Drives
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »

What is the correct protocol to add hardware to a non-Raid configured system? Can this be done without formatting already installed HDDs?

Just lost 650Gb in this process; few EX2 recovery options under Windows.

Here is paragraph I failed to notice.

pg 16 Note: All data will be erased off the hard drives installed in the
DNS-343 during the format process!

Maybe uninstalling existing drive (s) prior to mounting new would do the trick. Wishing this topic would be more prominent in the instruction set.

ps. device was powered off through web gui before installing 2nd drive;
HDDs are matching Black Caviar 1TB WD; DNS-343 FW 1.02, using XP SP3 and Vista Biz SP2
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:27:52 PM by trackfan »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Another Question about Adding Drives
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »

Yes. Simply power down the DNS-343 and insert your new unpartitioned drive into the empty bay of the DNS-343 and power the unit back up. Next log into the Web based configuration and you will get a prompted that it detected the new drive and ask if you would like to format the drive and that the data on the existing drives will not be affected.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

trackfan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:12 AM »

Thanks for reply and this is exactly why I am upset HDD installation does not conform to this process.
Option or reassurance to only format newly installed drive was never given. OS simply proceeded to reformat my existing data without prompts.

Sorry if I appear irritated;  Day 3 of data recovery through various programs none of which produced acceptable results at this stage.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:39:10 AM »

Did you remove the drive that previous was installed to another bay when putting in the new drive or anything like that before the format?

Do you have any pun plugs installed to the DNS-343?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:41:09 AM by ECF »

trackfan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:21:50 AM »

Never touched already installed drive. Got prompted to put new unit in bay 2 (not 3 or 4)

What could possibly have gone wrong here?  No warning, closed front panel, powered her up and formatting she went. Don't have much faith after last weeks disaster. Could use reassurance adding HDDs works 99% of the time. 

Can you recommend any Data Recovery software? Tried DiskInternals Linux Reader, R-Studio 5.0
and Easeus Data Recovery Whiz Pro. Programs find no recognized FS and extra / raw data scanned seems corrupted; maybe headers don't match up; I am clueless about EX2, superblocks, nodes etc.

OS seems to use 3 partitions.

What's more baffling, in took mere seconds for D-Link NAS to nuke gigantic sections of data now
seemingly out of reach for conventional recovery methods.  ???   

Wondering if anyone has successfully retrieved any files from a formatted Linux drive? 

ps. no idea what fun plugs do in a NAS box
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:34:33 AM by trackfan »

trackfan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »

Looking for service recommendation how to move forward. What options exist to test suggested sequence to add drives without risking additional data losses? Can I add a drive with different make, model and capacity for this purpose?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »

Looking for service recommendation how to move forward. What options exist to test suggested sequence to add drives without risking additional data losses? Can I add a drive with different make, model and capacity for this purpose?

Yes you can add any drive you wish.

When your first drive was formatted by the DNS-343 unknowingly was the second drive you were trying to format format at all or was it untouched?

Have you tried this again with two drives to see if the issue would repeat itself?

To avoid accidentally formating any drives containing data if you are using them as standard drives you could always simply remove those drives containing data and format only the new drive then power it down again and pop your drives back in.

trackfan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »

sorry about late response

2nd drive was new out of the box. Since purchased (2) additional Caviars and am installing Raid 5 at this very moment. [amazing how noisy these fans get under full load]

Still not sure what happened but before deciding to move to RAID 5 each drive was installed separately without encountering additional problems. Case closed I guess.

Thanks for responding, data loss was pain but it's reassuring some OEM's still value user input.