• March 18, 2024, 07:59:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Media Server (DSM-320 & DNS-323) Video Stutter Then Crash & MISC Issues  (Read 7784 times)

Lucid

• Level 3 Member

When steaming video from my newly acquired DNS-323 the DSM-320 stutters the view then crashes completely. After the crash I have to stop/start the av server again from the admin panel for the DSM-320 to recognise the server. I also notice a high frequency tone that is emitted that stops every time I navigate the DSM-320 menu. VERY ANNOYING! I also find that navigating the menu is s-l-o-w.

I have:
1) tested playing video from the NAS to my crappy laptop = perfect video.
2) setup media server on laptop and played on DSM-320 = stutters but not crashes. (FYI by st-STUTTERING I mean the video doesn't play smoothly but the audio is F-F-fine).
3) Spoken to tech support no one can help. My ticket has been bumped to Level 3 Priority. I have to wait for them to call me on this. Apparently the NAS has a format issue that interferes with the DSM-320 playing video smoothly.

The thing is that though the laptop is better in terms that it doesn't crash the video, it still stutters. It basically reminds me of those animated comics that when you flip the pages you see movement but it is obviously not 30fps or even 25fps. More like 15fps. The same video played via dvd player (same file and format noting changed) plays smoother as CANADIAN BEER!.

This is a little deviated from just a NAS issue but maybe it's not. Besides the DNS-320 should have it's own forum.

TIA and CHEERS!

Lucid ???

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Media Server (DSM-320 & DNS-323) Video Stutter Then Crash & MISC Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »

When steaming video from my newly acquired DNS-323 the DSM-320 stutters the view then crashes completely. After the crash I have to stop/start the av server again from the admin panel for the DSM-320 to recognise the server. I also notice a high frequency tone that is emitted that stops every time I navigate the DSM-320 menu. VERY ANNOYING! I also find that navigating the menu is s-l-o-w.

I have:
1) tested playing video from the NAS to my crappy laptop = perfect video.
2) setup media server on laptop and played on DSM-320 = stutters but not crashes. (FYI by st-STUTTERING I mean the video doesn't play smoothly but the audio is F-F-fine).
3) Spoken to tech support no one can help. My ticket has been bumped to Level 3 Priority. I have to wait for them to call me on this. Apparently the NAS has a format issue that interferes with the DSM-320 playing video smoothly.

The thing is that though the laptop is better in terms that it doesn't crash the video, it still stutters. It basically reminds me of those animated comics that when you flip the pages you see movement but it is obviously not 30fps or even 25fps. More like 15fps. The same video played via dvd player (same file and format noting changed) plays smoother as CANADIAN BEER!.

This is a little deviated from just a NAS issue but maybe it's not. Besides the DNS-320 should have it's own forum.

TIA and CHEERS!

Lucid ???

Very colorful post with an excellent marquee! Back to the topic, what video format are you streaming from the DNS-323 to your DSM-320? What firmware is each device using. Size of files....codecs....etc. We need lots of details before we can reproduce your issues here.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
Re: Media Server (DSM-320 & DNS-323) Video Stutter Then Crash & MISC Issues
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »

It's Christmas..thought I'd spert some colours;)

GSPOT
FILE_SIZE                      737,332,130
CONT_AUDIO_STREAM_COUNT        1
CONT_BASETYPE                  AVI(.AVI)
CONT_BYTES_MISSING             0
CONT_INTERLEAVE_ALIGN          Aligned
CONT_INTERLEAVE_PRELOAD       
CONT_INTERLEAVE_TIME           40
CONT_SUBTYPE                   AVI v1.0,
CONT_TOTAL_BITRATE             0     
VIDEO_BITRATE                  1712
VIDEO_CODEC_NAME               XviD 1.2 SMP
VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE               XVID
VIDEO_DAR                      2.353
VIDEO_DURATION                 53:00.000
VIDEO_FIELDS_PER_SEC