• April 19, 2024, 05:04:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Hibernation, Hard Disk and network activity  (Read 14529 times)

Tonytoronto

• Level 2 Member
Hibernation, Hard Disk and network activity
« on: August 13, 2009, 05:07:18 PM »

There seems to be many many posts about issues related hard disks and network activity.

I have had for the longest time, an issue where the 323 will not go to "sleep", i seem to have to separate issues related to this.
  - the hard disks will not hibernate at times, this morning i unplugged the network cable, came home tonight and the box is hot to touch, seems the hard disks are spinning for whatever reason, i have no servers selected, no backups, no BT running,No printer or UPS connected to usb... If i turn it off and back on they will than hibernate and stay ok for a few days. I have Raid1 and JDOB, the raid always shows complete. I can't seem to pinpoint what may be or trying to run. I popped the front cover and the hard drives are really hot, fan running quite fast.

-second issue, even after the disks going to "sleep" , it seems something is keeping the network activity up, even if i unplug the network cable, that results in the fan never shuting down and GUI showing temps of 43-44C all the time. I've read post here where temps will be in the 30's, mine 43c was the lowest i've seen quite awhile, room temp around 23c. Again, can't quite figure out why high temps when the system should be sleeping. It's not stored inside any cabinets and has good ventilation around it.

This all started after updating to 1.06 sometime ago. I just updated to 1.08 beta5, i reset the 323 before and after the firmware update, still exactly the same as before. I see lots of questions and requests for help related to some of this issues, is this a firmware, user fault or something wrong with hardware?  Any ideas, please share.

Thanks

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Hibernation, Hard Disk and network activity
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »

Well I can not speak for 1.06 right now unless I loaded it again however in 1.08 b5 my unit has not hibernated yet either so it is something being looked into. On final release hibernation will have been tested further.

Tonytoronto

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »

Thanks for the reply.. However, mine does hibernate with 1.08b5, i just checked again and the drives are stopped, however the fan is still going good and temps are steady 44c, and you can feel the box is quite warm.. I just don't get it, i cannot see a reason why temps are so high. 1.06 would stop hibernating after few days, lets see what happens with 1.08. I'm starting to think it maybe hardware and not firmware.

I have another DNS at work, 1.05 and the temps are no where near the one at home, even 35c room temperature. Just weird.

Tonytoronto

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 07:44:32 AM »

Well, after spending many hours trying to figure out why temps are so high,disk issues-- i give up. I'll go back to 1.06 and live with the issues of that revision.

As side note, i know 1.08 is beta, and such there will be issues-- but i wasn't expecting this many, this seems like a big step backwards so far.

I setup UPnp server, also not working for me, all my pc's and devices see the 323 but are not able to connect, i get a " no permission message", no issue with 1.06

SnapperNZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »

Well I had this issue with the 1.08 BETA and have just put the latest 1.08, which seems to have a raft of other stuff in it SINCE BETA - not sure what the point of a BETA is, if you don't BETA all new features/bug fixes.

My disks won't stop spinning - no network connected etc.

I did not have this with 1.07 so am about to go back to 1.07 and see if it fixes the issue.  I'll report back for the sake of others like me who come back waaaay after your posts above.

Did either of you have any updates for this?

SnapperNZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »

OK well I had tried the latest 1.08 - no change.

I've just gone down to 1.07 and BACK to the latest 1.08 and it appears to have fixed the constant disk activity.

For the record - going to 1.07 removed my static IP and alarmingly the admin password from the config - not good. 

The NAS picked up a DHCP address and as my browser auto-fill was used to a different address, it didn't work.  I thought I had forgotten the password but tried no-password eventually, and it logged on.  After it losing it's IP and password - I had a bad feeling it had lost ALL config and all data.  Phew!

It had also lost some, but not all of the users/groups and network access information.  The username/password case sensitive issues of previous firmware were also back, so my network access was screwed.

Anyway, after being rather annoyed - yet having hibernating drives again - I went back to the new 1.08 as it would be better to have secure access and constant drive access...  And it's now ALL working, drives are hibernating AND all of the 1.08 fixes appear to work.  Including the users/groups and network access ACL's.

It has to be said - the firmware for these has never been solid/stable.  D-Link really need to up their game, in my opinion.  We are all investing significant sums in drives and the NAS, not least the data were store on them.  We surely deserve better from D-Link.

Anyway, that's my update and opinion...

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:09:06 PM »

FYI, I had to reset to factory defaults and reconfigure manually (not reload the saved configuration), which allowed my DNS-323 to hibernate properly.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

jolley

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 04:58:06 AM »

FYI, I had to reset to factory defaults and reconfigure manually (not reload the saved configuration), which allowed my DNS-323 to hibernate properly.

Ditto.

mantr01

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:50 AM »

I realise that this is a late response to the issue but after going through several days of diagnosis I have arrived at a solution for my hibernation (or lack of) issue. I run 1.08 firmware (on a B1 DNS 323) and after setting up Funplug to provide for:
a. Printer support via rear USB
b. SSH
c. alternate USB device support for an external drive used for rsync backup of the 323
I was having problems with the NAS not hibernating - with my setup and enabled software I was getting the disks firing up about every 10 minutes.
To cut a long story short - i believe the issue is as a result of the Linux atime (access time) setting - this cause an update (write) to occur as a result of the cron activities e.g. offl_chk, even though the access is for read only purposes. (Whether this is due to running busybox along with funplug is another issue).
I have resolved the problem in my case by (re)mounting the filesystems (I run RAID 1) with noatime (do not record access time). I achieve this through a bash script run from /ffp/etc/fun_plug.local. My drives now hibernate almost full time. For those interested I would happy to provide the scripts and further details.

Srkson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »

For now the only problem which I have with the Beta Firmware 1.10 Build 07 is hibernating. When I did reset to factory settings, nothing happens, device not return on the factory settings and everything remains the same as earlier.
Does anyone knows a solution?

Srkson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 01:16:26 AM »

I found a solution at    http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7482.0

Tnx Piotr!