• March 18, 2024, 11:23:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Heating and delayed response issues  (Read 6144 times)

jazzman

• Level 1 Member
Heating and delayed response issues
« on: November 28, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »

I use DNS-323 in RAID-1 mode. I have 2 x 750Gb SATA2 Seagate drives installed. It is connected to Apple Base Station (Extreme) router through one of the gigabit ports. I also access the unit from my laptop wirelessly. My operating system is OS 10.5.1. If anyone had a similar setup, I would appreciate your assistance on two situations:

1. I set the high temperature cut-off point at 55 dc (degree Celsius). The other day when the whether was relatively warm (~29-30 dc) the unit turned itself down. In my part of the globe (down-under), the temperatures can reach up to 40 dc during the summer season which is around the corner. It looks like when that happens the unit will probably become unusable. Do you think 55 dc is a reasonable limit or can I increase it further?

2. When I access the unit (both wireless & with wire) to copy files (in both directions) I get significant delays; sometimes up to 20 seconds before it starts the data moving. This is when the unit is awake, i.e., it is not coming from a sleep state. Is anyone else also experiencing the same problem?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
Re: Heating and delayed response issues
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:48:45 AM »

Hello I have mine set at 60c / 141F I have to 500gb drives and mine tops out at 119F.  This is winter in North America and I have not had mine during a hot Georgia summer....

As for the lag time I have not experienced that but I have one idea.  Are you utilizing users?  If so there is a time-out associated with users under tools/system.  Don't know the potential impact as I don't do users.

Good luck.

-G

jazzman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 07:25:41 PM »

Many thanks,

I have increased the temperature cut-off to 60.

As for the delay, there is a hard disk inactivity and config screen inactivity options but I didn't see any options for the user time-outs. Just to test it, I disabled the existing users and set DNS-323 to ALL R/W access. This is not a potential security issue as DNS-323 is behind a local firewall. See how it goes.

Cheers

jgj10

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:02:34 AM »

Many thanks,
 but I didn't see any options for the user time-outs.  See how it goes.

Cheers

It's under tools/systems -- then idle time.

Later,

-G