• April 18, 2024, 10:35:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320L - Backup application problem  (Read 5545 times)

Adryanss

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320L - Backup application problem
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:43 AM »

Hi folks! I have this DNS-320L NAS for about a year, and was never able to make its backup function to work properly.
The problem is very simple to explain, but i can't figure out how to fix.

Lets start the NAS with all default settings:
Will set up a backup: internal or network, whatever.
It will set up properly, will work perfectly. I can save, restart NAS and it continues working.

After some 3 days, the backup application will be all blank, and i cannot create new schedules, I cannot see the old Schedules, and it will not do the Scheduled backups. Bakcup application is bricked. My only option is to hard-reset the NAS and start all over again, just to do it again after 3 days.

As it has been more than a year that i have the device, i already test on several computers, on all kinds of browsers, with all settings i need, and also just with backup setting an all the other settings like out of the box. Started with original firmware, and now i am with 1.06b3, nothing changed.

Can anyone help me?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS-320L - Backup application problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:04:40 AM »

A little more information is needed as to how your NAS is set up - Standard, RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD.

Also note the following:

To be able to use 'Internal' backup you must have two drives formatted as STANDARD drives (you must have a Volume_1 AND a Volume_2 otherwise it will not work.  Also it will not work is there is not enough room on the destination drive.

To be able to use 'Network' backup the other device on the network must have a fixed IP address and enough capacity to store the data that is to be backed up.

Adryanss

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:27:13 PM »

A little more information is needed as to how your NAS is set up - Standard, RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD.

Also note the following:

To be able to use 'Internal' backup you must have two drives formatted as STANDARD drives (you must have a Volume_1 AND a Volume_2 otherwise it will not work.  Also it will not work is there is not enough room on the destination drive.

To be able to use 'Network' backup the other device on the network must have a fixed IP address and enough capacity to store the data that is to be backed up.

Hi Ivan, thanks for the answer.
I have 2 disks on Standard set up. 1 disk of 1TB (where i work with data) and the other of 2TB (just for back-up).

I have fixed IP settings on all my machines, and just to make remember, i do have space avaliable, lots of space.

If I hard reset the NAS, the back-up will work perfectly, but after a few days, it will become bugged and blank, as you see on the screenshot avaliable on my first post.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »

If I hard reset the NAS, the back-up will work perfectly, but after a few days, it will become bugged and blank,

How do you know that the backup has stopped?  Do you just check the backup volume to see if the files/folders are there or what?

OK we don't have a DNS-320L but we do have a large number of DNS-320 as do many of our clients and their DNS-320 back up to our DNS-320 every evening with out problems and have done so for several years.  Once set they just run, in fact I don't think we have looked at the web UI and setup on any clients box in the last 12 months (that backup happens is checked in our managed switch logs by our night person and is then verified in the morning).

Why your box is acting in the way it does is a bit of a mystery because the 'L' variant isn't that different to the non 'L' box - at least in things like backup, FTP and SMB/CIFS.  I will leave a note for my people (I'm the night shift tonight) just to see if anyone has any ideas that I can pass on.

Adryanss

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »

Yes, the backup task doesnt works because there is no new files on the incremental backup.
I really dont know what will I do, D-Link doesnt helps me and actually im doeing backup mannualy (selecting folders and copying) through the browser, wich is not safe and is painful to do every week.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »

Sorry for asking more questions.

1)  What operating system do you use on your computer/s?
2)  Am I correct in assuming that you are using Volume_1 as a backup of the data on your computer/s?  If so how do you transfer that to the nas?
3)  When you say you are copying through the browser do you mean that you are using a file browser like, for example, windows explorer?  If that is the case and you are copying complete directories you are not making an incremental backup.  To do that you would need to copy only the changed files and give them some distinguishing file name to indicate when they were made. 

One of my people was wondering why, if question 2 is correct, you don't use something like r-sync to make the backup from your computer to the nas Volume_1 and then add the incremental backup to Volume_2.  I know that might not be possible in your case but it is something to think about.

Another point that was raised concerned the amount of actual changed data you had to make up the incremental backup and if there wasn't any would that shut down that function in the nas.  We, and our clients, have never been in that situation so we don't know the answer.

zombiehype

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 03:19:57 AM »

I have the same exact problem, any updates on this?
Ivan, I think the main problem here is not the backups not working, but the fact that the backups disappeared entirely. there is no list of backups anymore and the entire UI is unresponsive: nothing happens if you switch between local and Lan backup (normally authentication fields should appear), or if you click the buttons browse etc. So it's not that the backups themselves are incorrectly configured (they may be, but that's not the point), but that the backup page/functionality stops working.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:37:18 AM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65427.0

I have the same exact problem, any updates on this?
Ivan, I think the main problem here is not the backups not working, but the fact that the backups disappeared entirely. there is no list of backups anymore and the entire UI is unresponsive: nothing happens if you switch between local and Lan backup (normally authentication fields should appear), or if you click the buttons browse etc. So it's not that the backups themselves are incorrectly configured (they may be, but that's not the point), but that the backup page/functionality stops working.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Adryanss

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »

Guys, I want to post here a big THANKS to zombiehype!

I also want to thank FurryNutz for posting the link here of zombiehype's post. That saved my day!

I created this topic 1 year ago, and at that time found no solution.
 I gave up. In fact I've been struggling with this problem for almost 3 years.

Last week, I decided to buy a new one, thinking that my unit was defective. (*****, should have checked my topic first  :o )
I bought the same model, DNS-320L, trying to give it a new chance.
It worked for the first times and then the same problem appeared. Then started searching again on internet and found my own topic and the link to this topic.

I saw your solution here, and it REALLY works.
I can't believe it's just that. 3 years of struggle just because clicking on "favorite apps" instead of going on "Applications" menu and selecting "Local Backup".
I start to laugh hard here, mad at the programmers of this interface. Now I'll return the new NAS and happily use the old one.

Its working perfectly with last firmware 1.08b08

Thankyou zombiehype, hope it will save someone's else life!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:27:03 PM by Adryanss »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »

Glad it's working now. Enjoy.
 ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.