• March 28, 2024, 07:09:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 320L Unable to use - Power light flashing, no web UI  (Read 71300 times)

richiec86

• Level 1 Member
320L Unable to use - Power light flashing, no web UI
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »

Hi,

Im a bit of a newbie and need some assistance, if someone could advise i would greatly appreciate it.

i have had the d-link 320l NAS for about a year, no problems installing and access the 1TB HDD installed. had been using Win8 to access the NAS, but originally set up using Win7 on a PC.

I have recently moved house, and when plugging in NAS into the router and turning it on, the power light is just flashing blue. No HDD lights or noise from the HDD or fan.

I have tried to access the web UI, but just get a "cannot connect" message. I have also tried pinging the address of the NAS (192.168.0.x) but get the message "destination host unreachable".

I have tried resetting the NAS with the hard reset button, i have reset the router and then the NAS to see if it was a network issue, and have tried plugging the NAS directly into my laptop, but still nothing.

Having search all the the DLINK forums and google, it would suggest either a networking issue (?) or that the NAS is bricked.

Not sure if it something to do with trying to access through Win8 having originally set up with Win7, and worried that its bricked!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Mausschubser

• Level 2 Member
Re: 320L Unable to use - Power light flashing, no web UI
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »

Hi Richiec86!

Not sure if it something to do with trying to access through Win8 having originally set up with Win7, and worried that its bricked!

I have set up my DNS-320L from a Win7 PC and can easily access it from a Win8 PC. Has nothing to do with that. Network access works very similar in both OS.
What you describe sound like a damage, probaly from transportation during house move.
Check if you can get access when you remove the HDD.

Regards to the guys from your moving company...  ;)
Mausschubser

richiec86

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:18:40 AM »

Hi Mausschubser,

Thanks for responding.

I have removed the HDD from the NAS, and tried to boot it up, but again the power light just flashes and no access to the web UI! I assume this means its been damaged?

IS there any definitive way to prove that it has been damaged or bricked? Dont want to pay for a new one untill i can confirm it is actually broken?

Many thanks

Mausschubser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »

Hi!

Before buying a new one...

possible reasons for not getting a connection (especially after setting up an entire new network after moving to a new house):
  • DNS-320L is damaged
  • network cable is damaged
  • wall network socket is not connected
  • router is not connected to correct network line
  • router has been reset and now provides a different IP-address for your NAS
  • your PC has a IP address in a different sub-network than your NAS (e.g. PC=192.168.0.1, NAS=192.168.1.1, both with subnet mask =255.255.255.0)
and many more...

check this:

Blue blinking LED:
The manual says that blue blinking power LED means system is starting. My DNS-320L needs about 2.5 mins before it turns to continous LED after power on (with HDDs inside). So this takes a while.
The LED also turns to continous blue without a network cable connected. In case it is blinking for a longer time, I'd proceed with resetting the device.

Network adapter LEDs:
check on the rear side: there are 2 LEDs at the network adapter. The right side green LED shows, if there is a connection; the left LED if this is GBit-LAN. I'd expect at least the right side LED to turn green.

Reset the device:
At bottom side there is a small hole. Take a paperclip and press the internal button for at least 5 seconds (with power on of course). This resets the device to factory settings.

Get connection:
Use the "D-Link storage Utility" to find the device in your network. If it can't see it, try a direct connection with your PC, through a network cable that has been proven to be OK.
If you are a bit familiar with your router: try to look into it's DHCP settings. Normally there is something like a "network client list" which shows MAC-Adresses (the networks adapter's unique number) and the assigned IP-address. The MAC-address of the NAS is printed on the label on the bottom side, called MAC-ID. Once you can find it in the router's client list, type the assigned IP address (not the MAC-address...!) into your browser's address bar.

good luck!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:09:24 AM by Mausschubser »

richiec86

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »

Hi again,

Thanks for the tips. Have tried a few different things but still no avail:

Blue blinking LED: when first reading this, i had disconnected the NAS and reconnected and left for about 10 minutes, but the power light still flashes and does not go solid. I have also tried changing the Ethernet cable to one i know works and no change.

I had also removed the Ethernet cable to see if this would make the power light stay solid, but nothing (i had also tried removing the HDD and loading the NAS as i know i should be able to access the web UI even with no HDD, but still nothing)

after 10 minutes of it being on with the working Ethernet (and HDD installed), i had tried to reset using the pin hole on the bottoms of the NAS, while the NAS was on for about 10 seconds... nothing changed, not even a break in the flashing power light.

Network adapter LEDs: the left network LED on the back is green (mostly solid, sometimes flashes) but the right LED is not even on, assuming that this means there is no connection, but no connection to the router or the network?

Reset the device no change!?

Get connection: the D-Link storage Utility does not show the NAS, either wirelessly or with a direct connection to my laptop. I have also explored the "advanced" options on my router (VM superhub) and the NAS does not appear on the client list.

Having tired all these options, this leads me to believe that it is either:

•   DNS-320L is damaged
•   router has been reset and now provides a different IP-address for your NAS
•   your PC has a IP address in a different sub-network than your NAS (e.g. PC=192.168.0.1, NAS=192.168.1.1, both with subnet mask =255.255.255.0)

So just need to figure out how to check if the NAS and laptop are on different sub-networks and/or if a new IP address has been provided by VM.

Without being able to access the web UI for the NAS (or any other config tools for the NAS) how do i determine what address the NAS is on (if any) and change it to match that of the router?

Thanks again for your assistance

Ardalista

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:38:24 AM »

You could look at the DHCP clients listed in your router and that should reveal the IP address assigned to the NAS.

There is also some software on the dlink disk that explores your network and shows the detected devices from memory

Mausschubser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »

Hey Richiec86!

This does not sound very good. Action #1 should be to get the thing running without a flashing blue power LED. Probably a good time to get into touch with D-Link service directly...
Sorry, but i don't have a better idea now.

richiec86

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »

Hi Mausschubser,

Thanks again for getting back to me. I assumed this would now be the case since i cant do anything with it, D-Link here i come!

smueller

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:29 PM »

I got the same problem with my first DNS320L.
After sending it back and getting a new one all works fine.
Which hardware version you got?

drc954

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »

Same here, about 2 months ago, my unit behave in a similar fashion. Switch it on, the power LED will continue to blink. If more than a minute, I would switch it off, wait, then switch it on and hope that this time, the hard drive LED turns on. Usually about 1 in 3 tries will be successful. But at the end, it just refuse to cooperate.

Checked my envelop full of receipts, found it, showed that it was still under warranty. Went to their repair center, got a replacement unit, a Rev A3. I think the original one was Rev A2.

htlecso

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »

Same problem here. Blue light keeps blinking even after removing HDD and LAN cable. Also tried removing battery. Nothing helps... Any idea ?

mmmmx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »

I have in total 2 units of 320 and another 2 units of 320L. Both of 320L behaved the same as what you described after operating for less then one year.
One unit is permanently bricked. The second unit able to reboot after I unplugged power cable for 24 hours. It can not do Auto power failure reboot.
I will never buy D-link again.

caparica1975

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 04:37:49 AM »

Hello People ...
I'm coming here and seeing that unfortunately I am not alone with this problem.

I do not know if this is good ...  :D
I do not know if this is bad ...  >:(

(However, most likely, just to get here I can already take the bad ...)  :( :( :(

Two weeks ago my 'schedule nightly shutdown and startup every morning' began to not work as expected. At the appointed hour to boot, my DNS320L (rev. A3) is stucked in flashing blue LED. If I turn off manually and I switch back on, things return to normal operation. (#WTH?! #WTF?!)

I've done the upgrade from version 1.01 firmware for some other versions that found available for download.
Both in 1:02, and after the 1.04b, same problem from hell here.

Will I even need to buy a new NAS (this one has a little over a year), another manufacturer? My good old Lynksys NAS200 [bought in 2009] is right there, watching all this and smiling  :) ... Slow since factory and an old man, but smiling (laughing, actually ...  ;D).

Someone recommends a model [in the same price range] from another manufacturer?

caparica1975

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

For the record, I just find proof of purchase of my dns320l. In the next Saturday, will have only 13 months bought (6 November 2013). I confess that I find very "strange" that equipment start fails, a few days after your warranty has expired...

:-X
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:50:28 AM by caparica1975 »

berberis

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 01:05:12 AM »

For the record, I just find proof of purchase of my dns320l. In the next Saturday, will have only 13 months bought (6 November 2013). I confess that I find very "strange" that equipment start fails, a few days after your warranty has expired...

Hi,

I also got the blue LED blinking from hell after using the NAS for over one year. I only got one year warranty from the store but when I created a dlink support case they informed me that I have two years warranty from dlink on the DNS-320L. This was one of the responses from the support center:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

If power is blinking blue, it means the device is booting/restarting.

The other 3 leds front of dns-320l are for usb and for hdd`s(left and right).

The LAN port is equipped with 2 LEDs:

-The LED on the right will illuminate solid green for a good connection and will blink during data transmission. If this LED is off, check the connection/cable to the device you are connecting to.
-The LED on the left will light solid for a Gigabit connection and will remain off when connected to a 10/100 device.

According to your description it seems that your DNS-320L is faulty.

If reset doesn't help to solve the problem, then there is not much more to do. Reset is located at the bottom panel of your DNS-320L. Press and hold this button for more than 5 seconds to reset the unit to factory defaults.

You have a 2 year warranty for DNS-320L.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm waiting for the RMA number to put on the package and return the NAS to dlink...
Pages: [1] 2 3