• April 28, 2024, 09:19:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WMA Lossless files still not supported  (Read 5336 times)

yoyi

• Level 1 Member
WMA Lossless files still not supported
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:44:07 PM »

So i'm satisfies with the better UPnP AV server support for cascaded folders. It actually found all of my audio files......but it is still useless. All my files are sae as WMA Lossless (700-900 kbps Bitrate). The DNS-323 still can't stream it to my XBox 360 without it being choppy. If I load an entire CD in regular WMA (192 kbps Bitrate) then it plays it just fine. If D-link can't provide a software solution then it must be the hardware that can't decode the audio file fast enough. I wish D-link could finally provide me the answer to this riddle so that I can get rit of this thing because it doesn't serve my needs.

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Firmware Version: 1.08 Beta

yoyi

• Level 1 Member
Re: WMA Lossless files still not supported
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »

After some experimentation on various WMA file with different bit rate I discovered the following.

Bit Rate experiment

320 Kbps plays just fine

346 kbps plays choppy

With higher bit rate the choppyness became noticably longer and longer.

My conclusion is that the DNS-323 cannot cecod the higher bit rate WMA file, either by design, by deficient programing, or it may very well be that the processor is simply to slow to process the higher bit rates.

I will conduct further tries with other formats. ;D

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:46:45 AM »

Is your Xbox able to play these files without chop if they are copied directly to the harddrive? Is your XBox wireless?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »

Actualy the DNS-323 does NOT decode anything...
It just sees the few first bytes of the files to make sure its a supported format
then it just sends the file to the XBOX.

Try play the lossless files from a USB harddrive attached to the XBOX360
If it still plays choppy... then its the 360 the limitation.....

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »

Yeah thats what I was getting at... ;D
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

yoyi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »

I try the direct USB..thats a good idea. And i'll copy the files to the xbox as well...i'll let you know the results.

The DNS and Xbox are wired dirrect, no wireless.

I can stream the lossless files from my computer just fine, but I believe that the Windows XP is accessing is actually doing the decode. At least thats my assumption for now. At on point I had the xbox on a wireless adapter streaming from a PC that was wireless as well. So its not a wireless issue.

I'll see what else I can come up with.

yoyi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:51:29 AM »

Yup...its Microsoft again......leave it to them to screw something up so they can charge you more for it later.

I tried using a USB with the WMA Lossless files on it and they too skipped badly. I was wrong....the XBox does the transcoding when streaming from the NAS or a USB.  Amazing...all that computing power and it can't transcode its own WMA Lossless files.

Anyway...the NAS works very well. I'm just going to have to changemy audio file to regular WMA or MP3. What a waste of time. >:(

Thanks for the help.