• March 28, 2024, 05:09:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Beta 1.09 is Now available  (Read 55157 times)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Beta 1.09 is Now available
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »

My guess would be that it's going to be coded specifically for Ctera, I really doubt it'll support other services.  I'd be amazed if they have identical interface requirements.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

TrueDeek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »

DLink has to be the funniest company I have ever dealt with.  You make a product that holds 2 x 2 tb drives in it and then you add functionality to back it up online with maximums of 50 gigs.  It's really nice to see movement on the beta and this thread was really good for the chuckle  :D Thanks guys!!!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »

Well, the backup is new, and I suspect when they establish pricing you'll be able to backup as much as you like as long as your pockets are deep enough. ;)

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »

DLink has to be the funniest company I have ever dealt with.  You make a product that holds 2 x 2 tb drives in it and then you add functionality to back it up online with maximums of 50 gigs.  It's really nice to see movement on the beta and this thread was really good for the chuckle  :D Thanks guys!!!

You must have many decades of important documents to backup to the cloud and countless amounts of pictures!

In reality you wouldn't be backing up your movie collection to the cloud since most of those are 'replacable'.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »

hey D-Link Multimedia, it wouldn't even take decades to get that, i travel quite a bit and have approx 36,000 pics which is 78 gigs, that has only taken me approx 6-7 years to get, never mind documents so the 50 gig limit in this day and age is very small ...

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 10:44:17 AM »

I understand the limitations of the size at this point. Please keep in mind we are in beta for now and this is what we are providing for the free trial. We do value feedback prior to launch since we of course do want our users utilizing the service.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »

You have to be kidding!

This is an early beta of a product and you're getting it for free!  Is that really the kind of service you want to entrust your valued data to?  If it is, you are seriously misguided!  I'm sure when they go live, you can buy as much capacity as you like.

Perhaps you should pay for a production on-line backup if you feel so strongly about your data.  Or is your criticism just reserved for stuff you're getting for free, but he welfare isn't good enough? ::)

cybernica

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 10:52:53 AM »

Yes there will be a 1.08 final released. It is too late today for our web dev team to post it and we do not post on fridays however it is ready to go and will be live monday.

So when is the 1.08 final released? Thanks!

TrueDeek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

You have to be kidding!

This is an early beta of a product and you're getting it for free!  Is that really the kind of service you want to entrust your valued data to?  If it is, you are seriously misguided!  I'm sure when they go live, you can buy as much capacity as you like.

Perhaps you should pay for a production on-line backup if you feel so strongly about your data.  Or is your criticism just reserved for stuff you're getting for free, but he welfare isn't good enough? ::)

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the misgivings of a system prior to it going from Beta to live oh wait isn't that what a beta is all about?  If DLink sees the need (or want) for MORE space per $ then maybe they'll increase it to larger amounts.

Really gunrunnerjohn, I'm not sure why you get your panties in an uproar every time someone says something constructive to show DLink that there may be differing thoughts about what a product should or shouldn't do.  I agree that 50gig is in terms of space and I really don't think that DLink needs you to tell us what we think should be better for our needs. 

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »

As has been mentioned several times, no pricing has been established for the service.  The fact that they didn't give you a few terabytes of capacity for a free trial shouldn't be that big a surprise.  Also, it's pretty obvious, at least to anyone that spends more than a millisecond thinking about it, that 50gigs isn't a chiseled in stone limitation, it's just a figure they picked for the beta.  I'm sure that a beta test with that capacity is a valid as one that would have multiples of that capacity, and they don't have people burying their bandwidth uploading their two terabytes of movies and other pirate media.

I'm equally sure that D-Link doesn't need my help, I was expressing my personal opinion of how absurd your criticism of the service was based on the fact that you didn't get enough free capacity.

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »

If the price is competitive with other services, I'm in (I was already about to jump for a similar service). By competitive I mean prices like:

- SpiderOak -> 100 USD/year per 100GB
- Humyo -> 82.24 USD/year (100GB) + 11.74/month per additional 100GB

Encryption (from the DNS-323), is obligatory and an EU server would be nice.

TrueDeek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »

You must have many decades of important documents to backup to the cloud and countless amounts of pictures!

In reality you wouldn't be backing up your movie collection to the cloud since most of those are 'replacable'.

I would most certainly want to back up my movie collection to the cloud, I'm not sure how many times your kids are born or turn 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 but mine only do once and my 'movies' are of their growth (not very 'replaceable' in my mind).  I have just under 1 tb of home movies as well as 150 GB of pictures of which very few are replaceable. 
Although some of your users may use your product to store junk I keep 2 specifically for backing up and then backing up the backup to be sure that I don't lose this data as well as all my company financial, customer data, and other things that I deem worthy of backing up. 
As you can see 50 gig (I know, I know it's in beta) wouldn't really cut it for me.  I think it is a great idea for most and if the pricing was right for higher quantities I might consider joining but I would still retain my backups locally and off-site.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »

I would most certainly want to back up my movie collection to the cloud, I'm not sure how many times your kids are born or turn 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 but mine only do once and my 'movies' are of their growth (not very 'replaceable' in my mind).  I have just under 1 tb of home movies as well as 150 GB of pictures of which very few are replaceable. 
Although some of your users may use your product to store junk I keep 2 specifically for backing up and then backing up the backup to be sure that I don't lose this data as well as all my company financial, customer data, and other things that I deem worthy of backing up. 
As you can see 50 gig (I know, I know it's in beta) wouldn't really cut it for me.  I think it is a great idea for most and if the pricing was right for higher quantities I might consider joining but I would still retain my backups locally and off-site.

You are correct there are users that would utilize the web for this. My intentions by the post were strictly to non-home movies and I should have specified. Of course there are all forms of non replacable media and each user will be different. As stated we will be reviewing responses and making sure we can offer a valuable service to our DNS-323 users.

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 05:59:23 PM »

All this talk about online backup is nice but what I have not seen is the firmware fixes.  Did they just take 1.08b8 added shareport call it 1.08b9 then added online backup and call it 1.09b1 or did they fix the problems that have been reported? I would like to see a list of fixes to the firmware.

Terry

harrisjr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 07:58:18 AM »

Yes there will be a 1.08 final released. It is too late today for our web dev team to post it and we do not post on fridays however it is ready to go and will be live monday.

Has this been released yet?  If you're going to give specific dates, you really should meet them...

My apologies if it's already been released and I'm just not seeing it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5