• March 28, 2024, 01:38:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: ip address  (Read 40707 times)

rector

• Level 2 Member
Re: ip address
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »

If you configure the router's DHCP pool not to consume all the available addresses in the subnet, then assign the DNS-323 an IP address outside the DHCP address pool, there is zero chance of an IP conflict unless you assign more than one static IP address to the same value.

It really is that easy.

I dont know if I understand you correctly, but my router has DHCP addresses in the range of 100-199 available. I set the NAS to xxxxxxx250. no difference. You turn it of and the only way to get it up again is to run the configuration (without making changes)
Thanks

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 03:09:30 AM »

rector,

Just to let you know, I upgraded my firmware from 1.04 to 1.08 and my problem with not being able to access the shares until I re-saved them is now fixed.

R.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 04:14:40 AM »

Thanks for the fast response. I have turned my nas an pc on this morning, as usual no nas. Using easy search it shows the static IP address i set yesterday, but even though the icon is showing in my network an error says the name may be spelt wrong or there could be a problem with my network???? I am not impressed. I know if i fiddle with the settings, put it back to EXACTLY where it is now, it will work, but if this is standard procedure its not for me.

Thanks for the response  

After reading through the thread, I selected this post to reply to for a couple of different reasons - primarily I want to address a few of the symptoms here.

First - I don't think your problem has that much to do with the ip address per se, but more with name resolution.

If you want to find it by name, which seems to be your issue, try creating an entry for it in the host file.  Name resolution without a name server on the network is a hit or miss proposition.

I've had a DNS-323 for over three years and have never had the issues you describe.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 05:37:29 PM »

rector,

Just to let you know, I upgraded my firmware from 1.04 to 1.08 and my problem with not being able to access the shares until I re-saved them is now fixed.

R.

Thanks, but im using 1.08, which ive reinstalled. I see theres 1.09beta??????
Also its not shares thats the problem but like many others the nas is not visible on the network after switching it off and on

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »

After reading through the thread, I selected this post to reply to for a couple of different reasons - primarily I want to address a few of the symptoms here.

First - I don't think your problem has that much to do with the ip address per se, but more with name resolution.

If you want to find it by name, which seems to be your issue, try creating an entry for it in the host file.  Name resolution without a name server on the network is a hit or miss proposition.

I've had a DNS-323 for over three years and have never had the issues you describe.

Thanks for the response, Ive read what you said, but unfortunately I dont understand. I have never had a problem with networking PCs before, but not to say this issue can be unique? I dont care how I connect IP or Name.

If you dont mind could you please explain how to achieve your suggestion? I am happy to try and resolve this as I dont want to buy another NAS to function as this ones documentation says it should.

Thanks again 

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 05:21:31 AM »

Start, Run, NOTEPAD c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS.

Add an entry for your DNS-323 like this.

x.x.x.x   <NAS_name>

x.x.x.x   IP address.

<NAS_name>  Network name of the DNS-323

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »

Start, Run, NOTEPAD c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS.

Add an entry for your DNS-323 like this.

x.x.x.x   <NAS_name>

x.x.x.x   IP address.

<NAS_name>  Network name of the DNS-323

Hi, thanks for the response. I have a hosts file in the path you specified, but it is a sample of how to add hosts. Should i add to this file or make a new one? also the examples show the ip address before the device name? Sorry to ask what could be silly questions.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 04:44:01 PM »

You need a file named HOSTS with no extension.  The sample is normally copied to HOSTS and used to add sites to.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »

You need a file named HOSTS with no extension.  The sample is normally copied to HOSTS and used to add sites to.

Hi, The host file in the path you specified has no extension, but it does have examples in it. I did a little research and I added a new line to the file starting with#, the IP address first, then a tab space, and the device name. I saved the file, reopened to make sure it saved it, rebooted the pc. I then turned off the NAS, let it sit for 30mins. Rebooted the NAS and guess what. INSTANT DNS-323.

Thank you very much for your patience with me, I love my NAS again (and you)

Could I suggest this tip of yours be placed in a prominent place on the forum as this issue is not a one off, and there are lots of 323 owners about to junk them because of this problem?????

Once again Thank you      
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:09:42 PM by rector »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »

I'm just another member here, so I don't get to do anything special with posts. :)

They probably should have a place for tips and I'm sure a bunch of members would have good ideas.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »

I'm just another member here, so I don't get to do anything special with posts. :)

They probably should have a place for tips and I'm sure a bunch of members would have good ideas.

Hi, another day, guess what back to normal NO NAS on bootup, why it worked for 1 day when I switched it off I dont know. I changed all the hosts files on all PCs attached to the network. Again Im getting errors the same as before. This NAS is truly a piece of useless crap. It obviously cant work effectively as a print server or FTp if everytime the configuration has to be entered and exited.

Very sorry I purchased this DLINK crap. 

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 05:38:41 AM »

I have to believe your NAS has hardware issues, I have two of them running here for a long time, and they're always where they should be with static IP addresses.

OlegMZ

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 05:20:55 PM »

I have read the whole thread and really do not know should I laugh or cry.

When you try to access device by name  you computer should figure out somehow what the heck is DNS-323 (or www.dlink.com), as it understands IP addresses only. So it should at least to resolve name to IP. It can do it either by using DNS server (local, not on the internet for internal devices) or by using NetBIOS protocol in case of windows systems. When windows machines go online they search for NBNS (NetBIOS name servers) or other windows computers who declared themselves as Master Browser and obtain name information from them.
When your NAS goes online and obtains its IP from DHCP server, some routers, can obtain its name and include in its database. If the router is also acts as DNS proxy server for your internal network and/or NetBIOS master browser it will supply this information to any device on your network which has its IP as DNS server.
That is exactly what happens when you use DHCP for you NAS. When you use static, your router has no idea about this name. If you want everything to work this way, configure static mapping of NAS IP to NAS MAC address in DHCP server settings of your router (as iit was suggested from the very beginning).

If you want to use static IP assignments and hosts file then:

1) use X.X.X.X<spacebar>name entry format. No # (it is comment!) or TAB. It is written in comments of hosts file.
2) Make sure that DNSClient serviced is running on your PC. IF it is a part of domain, it will be. If it is not (home PC), it will not be. IF it is not running, hosts file will not be checked and used at all.

From what I read you got your NAS online NOT because you modified hosts file. :-)

BTW. I have 2 notebooks in my home LAN, one is XP PRO and part of domain, another XP home. First one sees DNS-323 all the time. Second one was hit and miss until I modified hosts file and made dnsclient servise run at startup. My DNS-323 obtains its IP from DHCP server, which is statically mapped to its MAC address. Router is DI-624.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »

All my NAS boxes have statically assigned IP address as does my network printer.  None of these systems have any entries anywhere in the HOSTS files of the computers that access them.  There has never been an issue finding the DNS-321, DNS-323, or the Synology DS209 with network browsing from Windows 2K through Windows 7, and also Linux.

My router is the Actiontec MI424WR supplied with the Verizon FiOS service, and it's the DHCP server for the network.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »

I have read the whole thread and really do not know should I laugh or cry.

When you try to access device by name  you computer should figure out somehow what the heck is DNS-323 (or www.dlink.com), as it understands IP addresses only. So it should at least to resolve name to IP. It can do it either by using DNS server (local, not on the internet for internal devices) or by using NetBIOS protocol in case of windows systems. When windows machines go online they search for NBNS (NetBIOS name servers) or other windows computers who declared themselves as Master Browser and obtain name information from them.
When your NAS goes online and obtains its IP from DHCP server, some routers, can obtain its name and include in its database. If the router is also acts as DNS proxy server for your internal network and/or NetBIOS master browser it will supply this information to any device on your network which has its IP as DNS server.
That is exactly what happens when you use DHCP for you NAS. When you use static, your router has no idea about this name. If you want everything to work this way, configure static mapping of NAS IP to NAS MAC address in DHCP server settings of your router (as iit was suggested from the very beginning).

If you want to use static IP assignments and hosts file then:

1) use X.X.X.X<spacebar>name entry format. No # (it is comment!) or TAB. It is written in comments of hosts file.
2) Make sure that DNSClient serviced is running on your PC. IF it is a part of domain, it will be. If it is not (home PC), it will not be. IF it is not running, hosts file will not be checked and used at all.

From what I read you got your NAS online NOT because you modified hosts file. :-)

BTW. I have 2 notebooks in my home LAN, one is XP PRO and part of domain, another XP home. First one sees DNS-323 all the time. Second one was hit and miss until I modified hosts file and made dnsclient servise run at startup. My DNS-323 obtains its IP from DHCP server, which is statically mapped to its MAC address. Router is DI-624.

Thanks for that response
Ive just turned on 2 pcs and the NAS. Neither the win 7 or xp machine show the nas on the network.

I have just run easy search/configuration. Instead of running setup wizard again, this time I entered lan settings, did nothing else other than clicked on saved settings. The nas is now available to both pcs.
I have read your post above, but can you explain why when i do something so simple as confirm existing settings it works.

This NAS is truly nothing more than a very expensive external hard drive, thats not even as easy as a hard drive to use. According to this forum Im not the only one, in fact far from it, thats having this issue. Truly a product not fit for purpose and its a shame, as i have several Dlink products, but cant see why I should continue to use them. Very expensive rubbish
Thanks again for the response     
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5