• March 28, 2024, 02:30:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DCS-2130 can't handle direct sunlight  (Read 15766 times)

VectorBR

• Level 1 Member
DCS-2130 can't handle direct sunlight
« on: May 13, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »

Hi all,

I need some help here!
I just bought a DCS-2130 for outdoor use (city landscape through my window in the nineteenth floor), and I'm trying to get it work during the daylight, but I'm having some problems.

It seems like this camera can't handle direct sunlight, and in these situations the image gets blurry, even when I set the exposure to auto with max of 0dB in setup menu. Simply there's nothing I can do in this options menu to solve this problem.

As the day passes by (and the sunlight gets weaker), the image gets better 'til the night, when it's perfect.

What I need to know is if there is any way to setup it properly for daylight use. Is there possible to setup these exposure parameteres some other way, like editing an .ini file or something like that? Or this expensive camera simply can't handle this?

I took one pic at 6:11 am, and it gets even worse by noon, the image almost disappears in a strong glare.

At night it gets just perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Popovice

• Level 2 Member
Re: DCS-2130 can't handle direct sunlight
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:24:37 PM »

Maybe you should play with the exposure settings (the instructions are for 2132L, but I believe that similar settings are also available with your camera):

"There seems to be also some problems (bug) with the camera automatic exposure control. When using the automatic mode the picture gets very easily over exposured, i.e. when there is much white snow in the picture area or the weather is otherwise bright the light areas get very heavily "burnt". The solution to this problem that worked for me is to use customized exposure settings (Setup/Image Setup/Exposure Mode -> Customize1) and define shutter speed between 1/10000 and 1/25."

VectorBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »

I searched for this "customize" in this settings menu and there weren't any options like that. My firmware version is 1.00.00. I really don't know if others versions would enable exposure customization, what do you think?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:28:27 PM by VectorBR »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »

I searched for this "customize" in this settings menu and there weren't any options like that. My firmware version is 1.00.00. I really don't know if others versions would enable exposure customization, what do you think?

Here's a video of another 2130

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROWQwfsqWsg

When you say direct sunlight, you mean like the Sun is in the picture?  I'm not sure if that can be over come. 

Have you tried setting the white balance also?  Brightness probably needs turn down to 0 with max gain near 0 too.

These are just guesses.  I haven't point mine at the sun (DCS-2230).

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:09:40 PM »

Try changing "Exposure Mode" to "Customize1",2, or 3

Shutter should enable.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »

Try changing "Exposure Mode" to "Customize1",2, or 3

Shutter should enable.

Wow, putting my DCS-2230 on "low noise" really lit everything up beyond belief... more so than "night mode" with brightness on 8.

This is perfect for night time option.

VectorBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:15 AM »

Here's a video of another 2130

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROWQwfsqWsg

When you say direct sunlight, you mean like the Sun is in the picture?  I'm not sure if that can be over come.  

Have you tried setting the white balance also?  Brightness probably needs turn down to 0 with max gain near 0 too.

These are just guesses.  I haven't point mine at the sun (DCS-2230).

RYAT3, thanks for the support!
Well, in this case the sun is not directly in the picture, but almost. I can say that it's possible to stay in the camera place and look with no problems to eyes.

I've played with white balance also, and the result is only light changes in colors, with no effects in exposure.

You said "Try changing "Exposure Mode" to "Customize1",2, or 3
Shutter should enable."

Well, seems like I don't have this "customize options" in my settings menu, and I took a screenshot so you can see better what settings I have enabled in this screen.

Screenshot
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/5174/telacrop.jpg

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

RYAT3, thanks for the support!
Well, in this case the sun is not directly in the picture, but almost. I can say that it's possible to stay in the camera place and look with no problems to eyes.

I've played with white balance also, and the result is only light changes in colors, with no effects in exposure.

You said "Try changing "Exposure Mode" to "Customize1",2, or 3
Shutter should enable."

Well, seems like I don't have this "customize options" in my settings menu, and I took a screenshot so you can see better what settings I have enabled in this screen.

Screenshot
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/5174/telacrop.jpg

Here is what I see on mine.  You definitely might want to see if there is a f/w upgrade for your camera.

VectorBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:18:35 AM »

Wow! That's what I call a settings menu.. I really must run a upgrade in firwm.

BTW, my firmw is 1.0.0, and in dlink Brazil I didn't find any firmw options for 2130
http://suporte.dlink.com.br/suporte/produto_detalhes.php?fa=RENT&eq=MjEzMA==

In dlink USA the 2130 model isn't even said.

Popovice

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

Found version 1.04 from here:

http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/

You should probably be careful because there was mentioned TESCO in parentheses and therefore I'm not sure if this works in your geographical area. But if you have the 1.00 binary available maybe you can download this version and then come back with the original if something goes wrong...

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »

Wow! That's what I call a settings menu.. I really must run a upgrade in firwm.

BTW, my firmw is 1.0.0, and in dlink Brazil I didn't find any firmw options for 2130
http://suporte.dlink.com.br/suporte/produto_detalhes.php?fa=RENT&eq=MjEzMA==

In dlink USA the 2130 model isn't even said.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50875.0

VectorBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »

RYAT, thanks alot for everything.

By that time I'm thinking on return it and get a DCS 2230 instead, do you know if there's a great difference in image quality? The purpose is to watch the weather and the city landscape all day long.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »

dcs-2230 is 2 megapixel indoor camera.

I can see a planet I think outside in the evening... very low light sensitive.

Mine is behind shade and doesn't face the sun directly, so I can't verify if it will 'white' out.

But with more options you should be able to tune it

VectorBR

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:57 AM »

dcs-2230 is 2 megapixel indoor camera.

I can see a planet I think outside in the evening... very low light sensitive.

Mine is behind shade and doesn't face the sun directly, so I can't verify if it will 'white' out.

But with more options you should be able to tune it

The problem is if I get the 2230 and it doesn't have this advanced settings enabled. Which firmw version do you have in your 2230?

About the image quality, I can imagine there is a great difference, even 'cause of sensor sizes. We are talking about 1/4" to DCS-2130 x 1/2.7" to DCS-2230 .

But does it worth? The $ difference is considerable big.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:40:29 AM by VectorBR »
Pages: [1] 2