• April 16, 2024, 10:39:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: NCSPlugin causing crazy CPU usage on MacBook Pro  (Read 6426 times)

jaylgordon

• Level 1 Member
NCSPlugin causing crazy CPU usage on MacBook Pro
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:52:38 AM »

I got a new MacBook Pro and logged into the camera interface, and I was prompted to install "NCSPlugin." So I installed it, and I could view the cam fine. BUT... when I noticed my battery running out quickly, I checked the Activity Monitor on my computer for oddities. And I found that the plugin (in Chrome as well as Safari) was using a bizarre and impossible amount of CPU resources (like, 283%!). I know there could be several variables here, but is it possible this is a bug in the plugin? Or at least, is it possible the plugin is a resource hog?

hairspray

• Level 1 Member
Re: NCSPlugin causing crazy CPU usage on MacBook Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:29:55 AM »

I'm also seeing this on a mid 2012 macbook pro using firefox, using 280 percent cpu, fans are going crazy.

running version 1.0.0.27 of the plugin

arclink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »

same here 2.66 i7, 8GB ram, 10.8.4…
this renders the cam unusable !
what is this NCSPlugin in the first place and why does one just have to install and trust without any explanation ? really disappointed that a company degrades a product after some time by a firmware update.

ReallyDaryl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »

Add me to the list of people with maxed out CPU usage. What's really alarming is that even *after* I closed down my web browser NCSPlugin kept running, and gobbled up more and more system resources. Not sure I can trust a plugin that can so easily go rogue let alone a company that releases said plugin.

Let's keep this issue in the spotlight. Hopefully this can be resolved soon or I will have to find a product line to outfit the rest of my house with that is more stable and trustworthy. (Some of the new wireless security cams/sensors coming to market from upstarts are looking very promising so D-Link better get their stuff together or they might see their marketshare drop off.)

belvedere

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »

I know this doesn't help, but here's a "me too."  The plugin uses 300% CPU (3/4 of the processing cores) on my quad-i7 Macbook Pro.

The only way this is possible would be if the software uses polling (infinite loop) instead of a timer interrupt to time itself, which tells me someone at D-Link isn't the brightest.  Sad, because the camera hardware is quite nice.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:59:55 PM by belvedere »