• March 28, 2024, 07:31:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: D-Link DGL-4300 Comparison  (Read 16842 times)

tuna_sandwich900

• Level 1 Member
D-Link DGL-4300 Comparison
« on: October 06, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »

I'm purchasing another D-Link router, but this time it's going to be wireless. I'm torn between the DGL-4300 and the DIR-655. I'm using a cable modem, with a speed of about 15 Mbps, and I'll have an xbox connected wirelessly, a laptop wirelessly, and a Compaq connected wired, so I'd like to know which one will utilize the network better and enhance the speed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:44:29 PM by tuna_sandwich900 »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: D-Link DGL-4300 Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »

the dir-655 is the superior product. 802.11n alone makes it better.

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

Don't forget! if you choose to go N with the 655 you'll need an adapter that supports it! (that is, if you want to utilize Draft N's full capabilities).

Another option: Check out the DIR-855. Or if thats a bit out of your budget check out the DIR-825. With these dual band CONCURRENT routers you can support both the 2.4 band and 5Ghz band and obtain the full capabilities of 802.11n.
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »

All of D-Link's 802.11n adapters are compatible with all of our 802.11n routers.
We have seen some issues with the adapters made by Intel and their lack of HT40 mode.

tuna_sandwich900

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »

Don't forget! if you choose to go N with the 655 you'll need an adapter that supports it! (that is, if you want to utilize Draft N's full capabilities).

Another option: Check out the DIR-855. Or if thats a bit out of your budget check out the DIR-825. With these dual band CONCURRENT routers you can support both the 2.4 band and 5Ghz band and obtain the full capabilities of 802.11n.

The first router is most definitely out my budget, but the DIR-825 is reasonable. Is it better than the DIR-655, which has the three antennas? I've heard the more antennas, the more reliable and the less interference the router receives. Are both routers able to utilize G and N at the same time? Also, the 655 is down in the $80 range, and the 825 is around $160. Would I get more for my money in this deal?

Thank you for the solid answer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:34:06 PM by tuna_sandwich900 »

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:33:42 PM »

The first router is most definitely out my budget, but the DIR-825 is reasonable. Is it better than the DIR-655, which has the three antennas? I've heard the more antennas, the more reliable and the less interference the router receives. Are both routers able to utilize G and N at the same time? Also, the 655 is down in the $80 range, and the 825 is around $160. Would I get more for my money in this deal?
Thank you for the solid answer.

The DIR-825 utilizes the 5Ghz band which allows for far greater overall throughput (be sure to use WPA2 AES to achieve maximum throughput!). 5Ghz is/is-going to be the next milestone in wireless networking, so by buying this product you "Future Proof" yourself, well, at least until the FCC gives Wireless networking a greater band range.

both routers utilize simultaneous B, G, N modes. Meaning they will broadcast a B signal, a G signal and a N signal allowing most, if not all, home wireless devices to connectivity.

antennas, 2 vs 3: Short Answer: maybe. Explanation: there are far too many variables in a wireless environment. HOWEVER, when using the 5Ghz band you can jump above the usual interference of other 2.4ghz devices such as home phones and various other routers in your area.

DIR-825 supports concurrent broadcasting of 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

Summary: 825 > 655 due to 5Ghz band and concurrent signal capabilities.

tuna_sandwich900

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

The DIR-825 utilizes the 5Ghz band which allows for far greater overall throughput (be sure to use WPA2 AES to achieve maximum throughput!). 5Ghz is/is-going to be the next milestone in wireless networking, so by buying this product you "Future Proof" yourself, well, at least until the FCC gives Wireless networking a greater band range.

both routers utilize simultaneous B, G, N modes. Meaning they will broadcast a B signal, a G signal and a N signal allowing most, if not all, home wireless devices to connectivity.

antennas, 2 vs 3: Short Answer: maybe. Explanation: there are far too many variables in a wireless environment. HOWEVER, when using the 5Ghz band you can jump above the usual interference of other 2.4ghz devices such as home phones and various other routers in your area.

DIR-825 supports concurrent broadcasting of 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

Summary: 825 > 655 due to 5Ghz band and concurrent signal capabilities.

That's very interesting to know. I had no idea about that. You know, you're awesome. You just summed up what would have taken me probably weeks to figure out. Thank you very much for the help.

I've got one more question. I found the DGL-4500, which is also dual band, but not simultaneous. Will that affect performance, and add compatibility issues than having the simultaneous dual band? I'm having trouble finding any adapters that even support 5Ghz technology. Apparently you can push more through the DGL-4500 than the DIR-825, but the DIR-825 looks a lot more promising due to the fact that it's basically two networks in one, I guess meaning that I can have lower priority objects on the 2.4Ghz, and the higher priority on the 5Ghz, I'm hoping I'm understanding this correctly, as that's what it says on the box haha.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:33:28 PM by tuna_sandwich900 »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:21:08 AM »

The 5ghz band suffers from one major draw back, it's wide band nature causes issues with penetration. Obsticales that would be not problem for 2.4ghz will reduce 5ghz broadcast ranges. That doesn't mean that 5ghz is without it's benefits, but it's something to consider when making perchases.

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:47:29 AM »

That's very interesting to know. I had no idea about that. You know, you're awesome. You just summed up what would have taken me probably weeks to figure out. Thank you very much for the help.

I've got one more question. I found the DGL-4500, which is also dual band, but not simultaneous. Will that affect performance, and add compatibility issues than having the simultaneous dual band? I'm having trouble finding any adapters that even support 5Ghz technology. Apparently you can push more through the DGL-4500 than the DIR-825, but the DIR-825 looks a lot more promising due to the fact that it's basically two networks in one, I guess meaning that I can have lower priority objects on the 2.4Ghz, and the higher priority on the 5Ghz, I'm hoping I'm understanding this correctly, as that's what it says on the box haha.

The DGL-4500 and DIR-825 are VERY similar, The 4500's processor runs at 275MHz whereas the 855's run at 350. These are the only KNOWN differences of the main processor. so theoretically, the 825 IS faster and should give you better results, overall (switching, wireless, QoS, etc.).

As far as wireless throughput goes, the 825 and 4500 both use different wireless chips as well. The DGL-4500 has only ONE wireless controller that controls both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Because it only has one wireless controller, it can only broadcast one signal. where as the 825 has 2 separate controllers which control the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, respectively. Overall, the 825 will theoretically give you better performance.

As for an adapter, get the DWA-160, it supports both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. try to find the A1 version as it gives MUCH better performance than the B1 model.

you are right about the band priorities. 2.4Ghz can be used for less important things, whereas the 5Ghz can be used for highly intensive applications such as gaming and HD streaming. Personally, I'd just throw everything on the 5Ghz :D. I'd leave the 2.4Ghz for a guest or an iPhone :)

tuna_sandwich900

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »

The DGL-4500 and DIR-825 are VERY similar, The 4500's processor runs at 275MHz whereas the 855's run at 350. These are the only KNOWN differences of the main processor. so theoretically, the 825 IS faster and should give you better results, overall (switching, wireless, QoS, etc.).

As far as wireless throughput goes, the 825 and 4500 both use different wireless chips as well. The DGL-4500 has only ONE wireless controller that controls both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Because it only has one wireless controller, it can only broadcast one signal. where as the 825 has 2 separate controllers which control the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, respectively. Overall, the 825 will theoretically give you better performance.

As for an adapter, get the DWA-160, it supports both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. try to find the A1 version as it gives MUCH better performance than the B1 model.

you are right about the band priorities. 2.4Ghz can be used for less important things, whereas the 5Ghz can be used for highly intensive applications such as gaming and HD streaming. Personally, I'd just throw everything on the 5Ghz :D. I'd leave the 2.4Ghz for a guest or an iPhone :)

Are the A1 and the B1 both USB adapters?

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »

Are the A1 and the B1 both USB adapters?

the term A1 and B1 simply imply different types of hardware. The specific wireless adapter I suggest you take a look at is: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=656

tuna_sandwich900

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »

the term A1 and B1 simply imply different types of hardware. The specific wireless adapter I suggest you take a look at is: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=656

Was the A1 HW discontinued? The items I'm finding are B1, although it's relatively hard to even find the hardware type. I also can't find the data rate of the item.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:42:30 PM by tuna_sandwich900 »

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »

Was the A1 HW discontinued? The items I'm finding are B1, although it's relatively hard to even find the hardware type. I also can't find the data rate of the item.

Shop around! I'm sure there a few sitting around somewhere!

tuna_sandwich900

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »

Shop around! I'm sure there a few sitting around somewhere!

haha alright. Thanks for the help.