• March 28, 2024, 09:34:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Brand new DSM-520  (Read 7145 times)

Sunny

Brand new DSM-520
« on: March 02, 2008, 06:48:22 AM »

hello to the forum,
today march first i received my new DSM-520.
i tried to hook it up to my brand new D-Link WBR-2310 which came with the 30 day trail of network magic.
after installing the software for the DSM-520 and starting up the unit, nothing happened, the power light and the WAN light is showing blue, the LAN light stays dark. i can use a usb stick and its working but nothing else.
i also tried to connect to a server it shows always up "no server found"
next i tried to ping the unit but there is no ip-address to find in anyway. not even network magic shows me some info when the unit is hooked up and turned on. the firewall is turned off Upnp is turned on. i use NOD32 as anti virus software.
the next step was to hook up the DSM-520 to my lap top wireless but with the same result. no server found and nowhere to find the ip address for the DSM-520. i opened up the WMP11 to see under share a media the DSM-520 but there is nothing to see. have tried the new software update 1.09 also.

what else could be wrong? is it a defective unit?

need really help on that because i like to enjoy this one too

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Brand new DSM-520
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:41:17 AM »

The user interface for the DSM-520 will display on your TV screen. The DSM-520 must be hooked up to your TV to configure. Once this is done you can setup the device using the installation wizard.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »

yes thats right i forgot to mansion that. I'm sorry.

once i turn the unit on i goes to search for a network then it shows up my media.
when i click on my media i shows up no server found.
i think something is wrong with my brand new unit, like i said. network magic is not recognizing the DSM-520 and it does not show any ip-address on my computer.

please let me now what i really should do.
thank you in advice, Sunny

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »

First verify that you are getting an IP address on the DSM-520 by going to setup and Network settings. Make sure your device is on the network then try a ping test to make sure your computer and the DSM-520 can communicate properly.

Ping test instructions
1. Click “Start” and goto “Run”
2. Type “cmd” and press Enter
3. Type”ping 192.168.xxx.xxx” (IP address of the device you are tying to ping test)
You should get 4 replys back.

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »

ok i know that but there is absolutely no ip-address to find for my new media player.

normally windows would recognize any new device hooked up to the computer but my device seems to be invincible.
its hooked up to my router WAN light goes on but the LAN stays dark, is that normal?

when i turn my DSM-520 on it starts looking for a network and after a while it switched to me media, where i clicked on but it says always no server found????

it seems to me that there is no connection nor the right connection to the router.

i tried a lot to get this on running before i went to this forum, believe me.

greetings, Sunny

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »

If the LED on your router's LAN port does not illuminate when the Ethernet cable is plugged into the port and plugged into the DSM-520's LAN then the port may be defective on the DSM-520 or the router. Please try another Ethernet cable as well as that may be defective. 

SRPoint

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »

I had to update the firmware on the dsm-520 before my router would recognize it wireless, to get the firmware to update I had to connect first via ethernet cable, after firmware updated, the wireless connection would then obtain addresses and work properly

Sunny

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »

i have tried already a different netwok cable, but strange is that the WAN-light goes on but not the LAN-light.

i think this unit is defect and i like to send it in for replacement.
its a brand new unit, never used.

greetings, Sunny

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 12:47:20 PM »

Make sure in the configuration it is not set to wireless. It seems to me that it is configured wireless right now. Simply resetting holding in the reset button on the back of the device should do this. If this does not resolve the issue please contact technical support for an RMA or return to the point of purchase for another unit.

Sunny

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »

have to say thank you for all the help here,

I'm giving up on this one and threw it away.

greetings and thanks again