• April 19, 2024, 08:37:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless network disappears suddenly.  (Read 8456 times)

Katan

Wireless network disappears suddenly.
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »

(Sorry for my English)

I have a DGL-4500 for about a year, used to work wonderfully, but strangely last week the wireless network simply vanished, tested with my laptop (Atheros AR5008X) and with a PSP and it was nowhere to be found, so I tried to do a power circle, making the network available again, but this time, the network would disappear again in about 5 minutes or even less under heavy load, leaving no entry on router LOG. This was using firmware 1.02 that came with the unit. So I decided to try updating the firmware to 1.13, and now when I set the router to work with AUTO 20/40hz, the speed is about 4MBps better than before (was using AUTO with 1.02 already) but, the problem was still there, it would only return when the wireless part is restarted or something like that (when I save any configuration related to wireless, even without changing a thing, the network returns), this happens on 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz, if I try working on 20hz only instead of AUTO (2,4Ghz), The network gets more stable, but the speed is about 2MBps slower then the speed I used to get, and would still have problems, but this time it would last longer, I could transfer about 3 GB max in each way until the network disappears but this time it return on it own soon after.

Haven’t tried 20hz only on 5Ghz, but that not a solution for me, since interoperability is a must on my case, having B, G and N devices on my network.

Right now I’m testing the network using a DWA-652 PCMCIA card with another laptop as mine only have EXPRESS card port.

Does anyone know something that may solve my problem?

My fear is that router broke, since it worked like a charm for almost a year, the network would transfer 80GB+ of data without a single problem.

Any kind of help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

arod

Re: Wireless network disappears suddenly.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

Katan,

Try to referencing the following link from our support site.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=3061&question=300+%2Cbps

Also try locking wireless to a specific channel.

Katan

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »

Thanks Ru-Fi-Oh,

But the network is already locked on channel 6 (tried others already), and the speed is not really the issue, I'm quite fine with it, still wish I could use the AUTO 20/40 without the network dying on me but the real problem is the network instability even on 20Mhz.

I'm using WPA2 with AES+TKIP Ciphers

The only client on-line during my tests was The Atheros laptop (about 3 meters from the router), with no other wireless network close by.

Today the network seems a bit better, will try connect the Atheros notebook and see how well it works.

What makes me worry is that worked like a charm (300Mbps on the Atheros laptop and on the laptop using the DWA-652) for so long and it stoped working suddenly without any kind of update or configuration change on the clients or the router. :'(

Katan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »

Did some more tests, and using 20MHz the network have some stability (still dies sometimes), but with only the DWA-652 connected, if I connect the Atheros laptop and try to transfer big files the network dies, forcing me to manually restart the radio by saving the configuration over a wired connection.

If I set the router to AUTO 20/40MHz, using the DWA-652 only, the network dies as soon as it gets on-line.

should i be looking for a new router ??? ??? ??? ???

FuriaRi0T

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:55:02 PM »

Try reseating the PCMCIA card. I've personally had these cards act finicky over a short period of time. Sometimes taking it out and plugging it back in solves a world of trouble. (Or so says ATi)  ;D

n3rf

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 02:58:28 AM »

How weird! I'm having this EXACT same problem.

My router is about 10 months old. I have not made ANY changes to it in months. About a week ago, it would just randomly disappear. Only power-cycling brings it back, and it can work from a couple of hours to 5 minutes before it disappears again (which drops all of my wireless connections).

I have been running the 1.02 firmware this whole time. Only tonight did I do the firmware upgrade to 1.13. I'm still having this problem.

I'm running 3 HP laptops and 1 smartphone. Again, all was working just fine for ~10 months. There has been nothing new or different in terms of my network (minus a new neighbor or two who might have wireless). Having switched from Linksys, my experience tells me that it's the router that is just going to crap.  ;)

Katan

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »

Try reseating the PCMCIA card. I've personally had these cards act finicky over a short period of time. Sometimes taking it out and plugging it back in solves a world of trouble. (Or so says ATi)  ;D

Tried that already, it makes no difference.

arod

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:32:37 AM »

Please eliminate any environmental factors such as cordless phones which can cause interference and in some cases cause the router to re-boot. Ensure the base of the cordless phone is completely powered off (disconnected). If Both of you (Katan and n3rf) are still experiencing wireless radio issues please contact tech support to further troubleshoot and verify the issue.