• April 19, 2024, 05:33:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Configuration Windows7 64bit and File transfer speed  (Read 3548 times)

zigzag

• Level 1 Member
Configuration Windows7 64bit and File transfer speed
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »

Hi,
I have just setup my brand new dns-323 with 2 x 2Tb WD2001FAS drives in the standard configuration.
I waited to install the Vista64 drivers but this was not necessary.

Device manager does not list a network storage device at all, so I had no call to install any drivers. Is this correct? The unit is working and I can see both drives listed under Networks, in Explorer.

I am now copying about 600GB to volume1. The transfer is going OK but at about 14MB/sec. If I am not mistaken, a file transfer on my gigabit lan, from one PC to another, happens at about 40MB/sec.

So I have 2 questions. Should I be seeing the DNS-323 in Device Manager?, and is the file transfer speed up to spec?

I would appreciate some feedback

Regards

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Configuration Windows7 64bit and File transfer speed
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »

No it shouldn't be in device manager (I don't think. It's not in mine. Maybe if UPnP is on or one of the other NAS settings Windows will detect it as a device). No idea what drivers would be needed for a NAS. At least, they aren't required to use it. Your speed seems about right too. There's many theories about what causes the bottleneck, CPU, memory etc (in the NAS)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:32:12 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

wfeltmate

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »

You will not see it under Device Manager, as it is a network device, similar to how you won't see your router in the Device Manager. You didn't need to install any drivers as Windows7 has SMB (the software needed to use a network drive) installed by default.

Your transfer speeds are really good. Never worry about peak transfer speed, as the speed various on a lot of factors (size of the file, other network traffic, other programs running on your computer, etc...), and hard drives rarely operate at peak speed. Even an internal hard drive usually peaks around 25-30MB/sec, despite having a theoretically peak that is much higher.

zigzag

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:23:22 AM »

Thank you jamieburchel and wfelmate for your prompt posting and reassurance about the drivers.

I still have a concern about file transfer speed. I have set up a copy of files across my home network, using the same d-link 4 port switch that the DNS-323 uses. The file transfer rate has settled on 68MB/sec, which is more than 4 times the transfer rate to the DNS-323 (14MB/sec)

The file copy is from one Windows 7 64 bit PC's internal drive to another Win 7 64 PC external e-sata drive.
So, the transfer rate to the DNS-323 is not impressive, and I need to go on a mission to find out why.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:19:31 AM »

I think if you look at some of the other threads here, you'll find that it's just running out of resources.  I get around 16mbytes/sec transfers, and when I check the processor utilization, it's 100%, so there simply isn't any more ability to move data any faster.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.