• April 18, 2024, 11:35:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323: Disc 1 Failure in RAID 1 - New Disk Format Failure and Re-Sync Infinity  (Read 6394 times)

Estcher

• Level 1 Member

Situation:

1. DNS-323 configured in RAID 1 with 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda drives with Firmware 1.07

2. Right disk failed (Seagate Barracuda 1TB)

3. Purchased new Seagate Barracuda 1TB

4. Powered down DNS-323 and inserted replacement drive in right bay.  Powered up.  Waited and web browsed into the NAS.

5. Was prompted to re-format right drive.  Did so. Format failed with error 115.  Tried this again and again.  All failing at 5%.

6. Updated firmware to 1.10. 

7. Reformat works.  Selected Auto Re-Sync.  Re-sync starts and appears to be syncing.

8. Next day (after about 20 hours) re-sync still requires over 4000 minutes.

9. Next day (after 24 hours) re-sync says it still requires over 12000 minutes.

10.  Unplugged network connection to NAS and go away for 2 days.

11.  Re-Sync wants over 198000 minutes.  This climbs with refresh.

12.  Wait 4 more days.  Re-Sync wants over 158000 minutes.  This climbs with refresh.

13.  I now HATE D-Link.

14.  I conduct a reset to the device.  Web browse back in.  Reformat right drive.  Fails at 12% with error 115.  It fails again and again and again...

15.  I have now removed the left drive and have it connected to my MB through a SATA.  Trying to determine how to recover over 10 years of photos that includes my children as babies etc etc etc

I would appreciate some comment/assistance on what to do here. 

What about: 

Ext2IFS
R-Studio
NAS Data Recovery

Cheers and thanks.

Estcher

• Level 1 Member

Correction: I was using firmware 1.09 prior to updating to 1.10

fordem

• Level 10 Member

Assuming the left drive to be intact, recovering the data should be as simple as removing the right drive, powering the NAS on, connecting to it across the network and reading the data off of it.

If that doesn't work you can try connecting the left drive to your PC and reading the data off of it - you haven't told us what OS you're running on your "MB", but if it's Windows, you'll need an installable file system driver for the linux ext2/ext3 file systems

From personal experience, some one of the updates around firmware rev 1.08 renders ext2ifs unusable and I never bothered to find a replacement - you can try explore2fs or the Linux reader]http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/]Linux reader, both of which have the advantage of being read only.

Last, but not least, don't blame D-Link, blame the user who neglected to back up the data.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Estcher

• Level 1 Member

Assuming the left drive to be intact, recovering the data should be as simple as removing the right drive, powering the NAS on, connecting to it across the network and reading the data off of it.

If that doesn't work you can try connecting the left drive to your PC and reading the data off of it - you haven't told us what OS you're running on your "MB", but if it's Windows, you'll need an installable file system driver for the linux ext2/ext3 file systems

From personal experience, some one of the updates around firmware rev 1.08 renders ext2ifs unusable and I never bothered to find a replacement - you can try explore2fs or the Linux reader]http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/]Linux reader, both of which have the advantage of being read only.

Last, but not least, don't blame D-Link, blame the user who neglected to back up the data.

Fordem, thank you for the reply.

I am running Windows 7 32bit.

My neglect aside, I pretty much do blame D-Link.  The equipment is not working as advertised.  This should have been a simple harddrive replacement issue and it clearly is not.  From the amount of traffic out there, I know I am not alone in seeing these issues with this unit.  Understanding completely that RAID 1 is not a back-up solution, it was, for me, a simple solution for the interim that should have provided enough redundancy to provide some small measure of security.  The past few weeks has been frustrating and a seemingly perfect storm of events not occuring as they should.  But this is not about D-Link nor about finding blame.  I am trying to find a working, in-expensive solution that will result in the recovery of my files with filenames and folders hopefully intact.

I tried transfering the data directly off Drive 0 across the network.  With the degraded RAID 1 the data transfer, for whatever reason, was extremely slow.  It took over an hour to transfer 200Mb of photos.  Additionally, the NAS would keep losing connection and I would be required to reboot the NAS.  With a total of 260GB of data to transfer I commenced down the path above.

I will be trying the software solutions above and was hoping for insight, recommendations and lessons learned from anyone who has suffered this same pain.

bjdo

• Level 1 Member

dns323 formats in a common linux format.

I think you should download a live ubuntu cd and boot from it.
connect you drive via SATA USB. Ubuntu should be able to read it.