• April 16, 2024, 08:00:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: weird network problem - device email blocked  (Read 1693 times)

acellier

• Level 4 Member
weird network problem - device email blocked
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »

In case this ever happens to anyone else, I wanted to document it.
     Our (Netgear R7000) is set to email its' log to myself daily at midnight. Also, multiple D-Link DCS-93xL cameras are set to email daily, each at a different time, as a state-of-health check.
      The midnight email from the router failed to be received, and also from yesterday afternoon the cameras quit sending their email, but everything otherwise seemed functioning normally (ftp, upon motion, to remote server; and available for viewing on computer or iPads). Camera status page, upon trying an email test send, said "unable to access SMTP server".
     Seemed like our ISP (Cox) must be blocking those specific devices (router and camera emails; computer emails were working, and internet generally to computers and iPads). Contacted Cox, and spent long time going through fruitless attempts to change the camera, and router, mail settings. Finally we suggested they reset our cable modem (Motorola) from their end, which gave us a new internet IP address.
     Presto! Problem fixed.
     The techs and I can't imagine how ONLY the router and cameras' emails were blocked, yet our other IP services were all OK.
     BTW, We had reset our cable modem yesterday, in an attempt to solve something else. This must have been the start of whatever. The prior day, two camera emails had arrived 4 hours late.