• April 24, 2024, 06:25:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to Isolate network users on Shared office network  (Read 10464 times)

shaolin4

• Level 1 Member
How to Isolate network users on Shared office network
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »

I know this is a topic that's been discussed many times in various ways, but each and every case is so different that I couldn't find a solid answer...

I'm (re)networking an office where about 50-60 individual users share the internet. The users have no relation to each other (sort of like at an airport, except each user is wired). Currently the office is setup with unmanaged switches and a RV042G gateway/router (which does failover on the WAN). This setup is causing issues with reliability, bandwidth, security, malware, management, and overall legal reasons.

The goal is to isolate each user/switch-port from each other, while still allowing a single DHCP server to serve them all. Many of the users have laptops so static IP's are not an option.

I'm thinking of installing switches such as Dlink DGS-1210 and giving each port an untagged VLAN. Then setting one port on each switch tagged and that port connects to the router.

However, I DON'T want to have to setup an individual subnet and DHCP range for each vlan. Furthermore, I can't see anywhere that the DGS-1210 's have an iphelper of any sort.

How can I make this work with a limited budget?

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
Re: How to Isolate network users on Shared office network
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »

... looks like "private VLAN" is the best choice that fits your demands. All you need is a switch that supports it.

lystor

• Level 1 Member
Re: How to Isolate network users on Shared office network
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 03:20:36 AM »

Hi, shaolin4

You need a switch that supports Traffic Segmentation feature.

For example: D-Link DES-3200

Read manuals how to configure Traffic Segmentation:

1) D-Link DES-3200 Web UI Reference Guide -> Traffic Segmentation Settings:
http://dlink-manuals.org/dlink-des-3200-web-ui-reference-guide-4.04/216/

2) D-Link DES-3200 CLI Reference Manual -> Traffic Segmentation Command List:
http://dlink-manuals.org/dlink-des-3200-cli-reference-manual-4.04/618/