• April 24, 2024, 12:40:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: best solution for desktop remote access to volume (not ftp or through browser)?  (Read 2569 times)

faroutxxx

• Level 1 Member

I want to share in real time remotely folders on the NAS between laptops just as you would locally via network map drive.

I dont want to use ftp or web access as you would have to manually download and upload files.

Im trying out the owncload method but having trouble getting it to work.

I was wondering if there was a simple solution im missing? is there perhaps an official dlink desktop app for example?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:32:23 PM by faroutxxx »

Fabiano Pinheiro

• Level 2 Member

You can enable directory sharing in NAS management by also granting user access permission.
In this case, you would see it as a network directory in windows explorer

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Are you wanting local LAN access or WAN side remote access?

I want to share in real time remotely folders on the NAS between laptops just as you would locally via network map drive.

I dont want to use ftp or web access as you would have to manually download and upload files.

Im trying out the owncload method but having trouble getting it to work.

I was wondering if there was a simple solution im missing? is there perhaps an official dlink desktop app for example?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

faroutxxx

• Level 1 Member

wan. currenlty looking at webdav as mapping the volume to a local drive is the best solution. however im having a lot of problems trying to map the volume because of windows 7. think its certificate issue as it prompts repeatedly for the password.

any other to map volume to drive to use remotely?

ivan

• Level 8 Member

OK, let me confirm what you are trying to do.  From your description it could be one of two things.
1) you have several people with notebooks that want to share between themselves via the NAS (not the best way of operating).
2) you have several people with notebooks that access to the NAS to store and/or backup files.

Which of those two is what you want to do?

You also state you are trying to use webDav.  What webDav client are you using on the notebooks?  I ask because the win implementation of webDav in windows explorer isn't exactly standards compliant to use over the internet.