• March 29, 2024, 02:40:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: OpenWRT on DIR-825 Rev. B1  (Read 105031 times)

Heffer

• Level 1 Member
OpenWRT on DIR-825 Rev. B1
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:52:35 AM »

Hi there. Here's a little howto I wrote.
Check this: http://fetzig.org/2009/12/24/openwrt-on-the-d-link-dir-825/

Maybe you have more luck with this than with D-Links Firmware. For me it solved all my IPv6 issues I reported to D-Link Germany, as they decided not to respond to my E-Mails.

Greetings,
Felix

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
Re: OpenWRT on DIR-825 Rev. B1
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »

Are there some instructions or Screenshots available where you can take a look at before you are flashing the router with this firmware?
Looks like you need telnet to configure the router from then on. Is it not possible via webbrowser anymore?
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

mactalla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:09:03 PM »

Hi there. Here's a little howto I wrote.
Check this: http://fetzig.org/2009/12/24/openwrt-on-the-d-link-dir-825/

Maybe you have more luck with this than with D-Links Firmware. For me it solved all my IPv6 issues I reported to D-Link Germany, as they decided not to respond to my E-Mails.

Greetings,
Felix

Yes, thank you, Felix.  I came across your blog post a few days ago and flashed my router.  It's been working well ever since.  I now have a reliable IPv6 router.  It self-updates my tunnel if my IPv4 address changes without needing to reboot.  I can now access my modem from behind my router and also all my computers on my LAN are correctly registered in the router's DNS.  So many headaches are now a thing of the past.

mactalla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »

Are there some instructions or Screenshots available where you can take a look at before you are flashing the router with this firmware?
Looks like you need telnet to configure the router from then on. Is it not possible via webbrowser anymore?

OpenWrt is mainly command-line driven.  There is a web interface, though it's not installed by default so at a bare minimum, you would need to telnet/ssh and install that (opkg update; opkg install install luci-admin-full) before you could use it.  The web interface covers much of the standard router features, but certainly does not cover the full range of what OpenWrt is capable of.  For example, configuring your PPPoE information or NTP is fine, but I didn't see anything in there for my IPv6 configuration and I doubt it would have stuff for Asterisk.  I found myself using a shell for installing new components (opkg), setting my wireless mode (enabling 'n' mode, but not setting the encryption, band, etc), and setting my IPv6 info.  PPPoE, static DHCP, NTPD, and WiFi settings (all but setting the mode) I did from the web interface.  One other thing of note, is the LEDs are not configured correctly (at least not with the firmware from a couple days ago).  They can be configured from the web interface, but since my router's in a whole other room I haven't bothered.

In short, if you're not comfortable with a CLI, then I wouldn't recommend going the OpenWrt route (at least not yet).  The good news is that the hard work is done, so hopefully it won't be long for more consumer oriented firmwares to add support as well (such as Tomato and DD-Wrt).  On the other hand, if you're comfortable with a CLI and have a bit of time, then it's a good choice.

Although not a step-by-step picture instructions you asked about, some screenshots can be found here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/configuring to give an indication of what the web UI looks like.

HTH.

Geraner

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »

Thanks. I will wait and see what's happening in the future. :-)
For now on I have no problems with my DIR-825. So an firmware upgrade is not necessary for me.
DIR-825 - HW: B1 - Firmware: 2.05WW Build05 Beta01
DNS-323 - HW: B1- Firmware: 1.08 Beta build 05

LuisGC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:09:29 AM »

How did you guys got the wireless working?

I managed to flash my 825 with openWrt with Felix's instructions and I have it routing properly the wired connections. However, I cannot configure the Wifi, if I go via luci I have no devices to choose and configure; in the command line, if i do 'wifi detect' I get no output at all and if I try to configure '/etc/config/wireless' by hand I always get "Interface type not supported error" (I tried all 3 of them).

Do you guys get any output on 'wifi detect'? Am I missing some other configuration?

nickCR

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »

This really is great news! I can't wait for a full DD-WRT release. I understand CLI but really don't have the patience to risk my network being in-operable right now.

I figure now with OpenWRT working DD-WRT won't be far off. Infact according to this post on DD-WRT the porting is already underway:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57708&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

mrader

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »

DD WRT shows atheros chipset cannot work with WRT.  What am I missing here.  How did you get this to work
?

Vaere

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »

Supposedly DDWRT is working now
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57708&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/changeset/13516

nickCR

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »

Anyone want to try it out? If DD-WRT works i'll scrap D-Link's firmware in a second.

mactalla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 02:31:05 PM »

How did you guys got the wireless working?

I managed to flash my 825 with openWrt with Felix's instructions and I have it routing properly the wired connections. However, I cannot configure the Wifi, if I go via luci I have no devices to choose and configure; in the command line, if i do 'wifi detect' I get no output at all and if I try to configure '/etc/config/wireless' by hand I always get "Interface type not supported error" (I tried all 3 of them).

Do you guys get any output on 'wifi detect'? Am I missing some other configuration?

For WiFi, make sure the drivers and hostapd are installed:
Code: [Select]
opkg update
opkg install kmod-ath9k
opkg install hostapd
Here's my /etc/config/wireless:
config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' 'MAC-addr-goes-here'
        option 'hwmode' '11g'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'channel' '9'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'key' 'WPA-key-goes-here'
        option 'ssid' 'SSID-goes-here'

config 'wifi-device' 'radio1'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'channel' '36'
        option 'macaddr' 'MAC-addr-goes-here'
        option 'hwmode' '11a'
        option 'hwmode_11n' 'a'
        list 'ht_capab' 'HT40+'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'disabled' '0'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio1'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'SSID-goes-here'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'key' 'WPA-key-goes-here'

If that doesn't work, let me know.  I don't recall tweaking anything else, but it's possible.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:40:45 PM by mactalla »

LuisGC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 02:47:08 AM »

Many thaks for your help mactalla, Felix (on your blog) but I still have no wifi.

I cannot properly install the drivers as when I try to install the 'kmod-ath9k' package I get an error that it cannot resolve the dependencies 'kmod-crypto-arc4' and ''kmod-crypto-aes'; even though these packages are in the repository I'm using (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages) I cannot see them in opkg list.

I did force the package installation and tried 'wifi detect' and got nothing in the output.
Just for the sake of it, I used your '/etc/config/wireless' and gave it a go but all I got was
PHY for wifi device radio0 not found
PHY for wifi device radio1 not found
But then, I did comment out the mac address option as I don't know where to find them for the radios...

By the way, these are all the devices I have:
br-lan
eth0
eth1
lo
so, no wireless devices, which makes sense, seen as my drivers are not properly installed.

Problem is I'm clueless on what to do next (damn noob :-[ )...

mactalla

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »

I cannot properly install the drivers as when I try to install the 'kmod-ath9k' package I get an error that it cannot resolve the dependencies 'kmod-crypto-arc4' and ''kmod-crypto-aes'; even though these packages are in the repository I'm using (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages) I cannot see them in opkg list.
[...]
Problem is I'm clueless on what to do next (damn noob :-[ )...

I know the feeling :)

One thing that I noticed (and failed to mention here) is that when fetching the list of available packages (opkg update) it stores it in RAM.  I guess this is a feature since the flash is a precious commodity and the list does change over time.  So what that means is you must run opkg update again if you're rebooted since the last time or it won't know about most packages.

Secondly, to get the drivers you must not only install them (download) but also load them.  This should be done automatically when you (re)boot, but can also do it manually by running "insmod ath9k"  This will also let you see any trouble it has loading the module without having to look at the logs ("logread" and "dmesg").

When the driver is loaded (it shows up in "lsmod"), then you should start seeing the radios and calling "wifi up" should attempt to bring them up.  Again, this is automatic on boot, but you can move it along manually without needing to constantly reboot.

So hopefully it was just a missing opkg update.  Let me know how you fare.

LuisGC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:39:53 AM »

Ok, I had to install the 'crypto' packages by hand as they were not declared in the 'Packages' file.

Now I get WiFi, woohooo!

Many thanks for your help guys!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:24:34 PM by LuisGC »

mrader

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »

Did you need a cable to load OpenWrt to the 825?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5