• April 24, 2024, 01:56:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Replacement Motherboard & Sata board for DNS-343  (Read 4288 times)

bil24884

• Level 1 Member
Replacement Motherboard & Sata board for DNS-343
« on: September 22, 2016, 12:30:27 PM »

I have a DNS-343 unit and #3 drive is not spinning up.  Have tried other replacement HD's on #3 but no luck.  No power apparently to the HD on #3.  Where can I purchase replacement Motherboards and Sata boards for this unit?  Anyone know.  Dlink won't sell them apparently.  Anyone have any?  I have 2 boxes I can not use and would love to get them working again.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Replacement Motherboard & Sata board for DNS-343
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »

D-Link do not do parts as you have found therefore you have two chances, 1) find what you want on e-bay (may nor work anyway), 2) open the box and check for dry solder joints (the usual problem with older units) or overheated components.

We have repaired a clients unit where one of the SATA sockets had several dry joints (the problem with the dry joints can be caused by the slight vibration of the hard disks when in use over time).

bil24884

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 03:10:21 PM »

No we had a lightning strike at the house.  I am pressing DLink for replacement Mainboards and replacement Sata boards.  I know they have them.  So I will push for them to sell them to me.

D-Link do not do parts as you have found therefore you have two chances, 1) find what you want on e-bay (may nor work anyway), 2) open the box and check for dry solder joints (the usual problem with older units) or overheated components.

We have repaired a clients unit where one of the SATA sockets had several dry joints (the problem with the dry joints can be caused by the slight vibration of the hard disks when in use over time).

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »

I am pressing DLink for replacement Mainboards and replacement Sata boards

Good luck with that.

No we had a lightning strike at the house.

I don't think that is your problem.  If it was a power surge that passed through the power supply you would have more than one drive slot dead.  Our experience of such things is that it kills the motherboard by taking out the CPU and several other components (we had one instance where it killed all the drives as well, that client now has all their computer equipment running on UPSs behind industrial surge suppressors/cut-outs).

bil24884

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »

One unit is completely DOA!  The other unit I bought used.  I took the 4 HD's out of the bad unit and forgot to test them before installing them into the uned unit.  When I turned it on, I could smell something burning.  So I quickly turn it off. 

I pull the 4 HD's out of the unit and tested them and they were all fried (from the lightning). 

So I installed 4 replacement HD's that were working.  When I turned the unit on, it powered up just fine.   The MB seems to be fine.  However, HD#3 will not spin up.  I am confident that something is fried on the SATA board on #3.  So I need a replacement.

On the lightning damaged unit, everything is fried including both the MB and the Sata board.  This has been confirmed.

Sad that Dlink will not support their customers when I spent over $1k with them.  I will be sure to pass this on to my friends and customers.

I am not done trying to get replacement boards yet, but if they flat out refuse, I will let everyone know.  I own 7 radio stations and do a Tech show.  The word will definitely get out, if they refuse to sell me what I need.  I am quite sure they have many boards just laying around.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:18:13 AM »

OK, I get the picture now.

From your description it could well be that you have destroyed one if the power tracks on the SATA board - an insulated wire link will rectify that.

Re getting parts.  I don't think it is a case of them not selling them to you but a case of they can't.  When I say can't I mean that there is no sales structure for individual parts and, like almost all consumer electronics manufacturers, they do do repairs they just exchange units if they come in under warranty and junk the old units.  Any individual parts would have to come from the China assembly plant as a special order and that assumes they could pull what you want from there (my experience of assembly plants in China indicate that it would be almost impossible because they only have complete sets of parts and everything is tracked).

bil24884

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:56:27 AM »

Problem is that they are out of warranty and I was told that they would not repair them for that reason.  REALLY?  So crazy.
There is not a trace that is bad.  I can see some silicon burnt.  My only other option is to keep watching ebay for some old units to come up for sale, cheap.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »

My service manager stated the obvious, check the voltages on the power socket if the drive is not spinning up (a drive will spin up even if the data cable is not connected).

The pins are 1->3 +3.3v, 4->6, 10, 12 Ground, 7->9 +5v and 13->15 +12v.  Pin 1 is the nearest to the L locating peg.  You may not get the +3.3v (the drives don't need it and I'm out of the office so can't check) but you must have the +5v and +12v, also check the the Ground pins are in fact connected to the 0 volt line.